FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for the best workflow for the highest quality

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Cox
Looking for the best workflow for the highest quality
on Dec 27, 2012 at 9:25:35 pm

I am currently working as an editor for a company producing videos for the web. We have our own server that we post to (i.e. not youtube or vimeo) and it has fairly tight restrictions for what the videos need to be. They require a 640x360 .MOV file that is at the absolute maximum 500MB. Now I am editing 2 to 3 minute videos and have been able to get the videos to work fine under these conditions but I was wondering if there were any changes to my workflow that could make the end product look better and less compressed.

Currently I:

Convert all files to .MOV with iSkysoft Converter (when using footage from multiple different cameras)
Import to Final Cut Pro 7
Export using Quicktime Conversion (MOV H.264)

I know quicktime conversion is not popular for videos but I can't seem to get a better image quality when using compresser. Maybe I need help with my compresser settings.

Anywho, any sort of help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Looking for the best workflow for the highest quality
on Dec 27, 2012 at 10:39:43 pm

[Evan Cox] "...Convert all files to .MOV with iSkysoft Converter (when using footage from multiple different cameras)
Import to Final Cut Pro 7"

When you convert to quicktimes, what codec do you choose for the footage and what is the codec you use in your FCP sequence?

I recommend ProRes 422 for both footage and sequence, exporting a self-contained quicktime, and using it in either QT Pro or Compressor. If you haven't learned how to create your own H.264 custom presets for Compressor, you should. They help.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Evan Cox
on Dec 27, 2012 at 10:50:01 pm

I convert with H.264. My FCP sequence is set to DV/DVCPRO - NTSC.

Return to posts index

Evan Cox
on Dec 27, 2012 at 11:57:35 pm

Thanks I will definitely try working more with Apple Pro Res 422. The only problem is my converter doesn't have that as an option for a codec. Again that is only necessary to use when I'm doing multi-cam shoots. The majority of these projects are single cam in which case I can definitely log and transfer as Pro Res to a Pro Res sequence. Going with the theme here, should I use an Apple Pro Res 422 setting in Compressor?

Thanks again! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 28, 2012 at 9:22:31 am

[Evan Cox] "The only problem is my converter doesn't have that as an option for a codec. "
So get a decent converter.
You haven't mentioned which is your original source footage, but most formats can be transcoded by FC through Log&Transfer.
Edit with the original picture size and export a Prores master.
Then downscale and compress to H264 with Compressor.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Evan Cox
on Dec 28, 2012 at 5:53:14 pm

Yeah when I'm shooting these events single cam I'm shooting 1080 - 60p AVCHD on a Sony NXCam. Certain events require multiple cameras which requires us to use what we have (various Sony Camcorders and FlipCams) which create different file types. Using the converter that I've been supplied with but will look into a better one. Thanks! This is all very helpful!.

Return to posts index

Evan Cox
on Dec 28, 2012 at 6:45:07 pm

So I guess my last question would be, why is exporting a self contained QT video (ProRes 422) and then Compressing it to H.264 a better option than sending a ProRes 422 sequence directly from FCP to Compressor? Not trying to be difficult, just wanting to get a real grasp on the subject.

Thanks again for all of the help!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 28, 2012 at 9:05:08 pm

[Evan Cox] " why is exporting a self contained QT video (ProRes 422) and then Compressing it to H.264 a better option than sending a ProRes 422 sequence directly from FCP to Compressor?"

Two reasons:

First, exporting a self-contained QT goes pretty quickly. If it doesn't, you've just rendered your timeline in ProRes 422, a very loss-free codec in comparison to DV.

Second, Compressor allows you to do batch compressions: a very good thing especially when when compressing to a good-looking H.264 file takes so much time. You can get everything set up, hit the GO button, then return in the morning and everything's done!

Nice, huh?

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Evan Cox
on Dec 28, 2012 at 9:22:39 pm

Makes sense to me! Thanks Dave!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 29, 2012 at 2:38:26 am

[Evan Cox] " why is exporting a self contained QT video (ProRes 422) and then Compressing it to H.264 a better option than sending a ProRes 422 sequence directly from FCP to Compressor?"
To add to what Dave said, the main reason for avoiding "Send to Compressor" is about saving time.
"Send to Compressor" is technically the option which would yield higher quality, because the "sequence codec" plays no role. FC sends always a 444 Uncompressed sequence.
But "Send to Compressor" has very big con. Whatever thing you "Send to Compressor" needs to be rendered again, even if the sequence has already been fully rendered. The problem increases when you makes for example a "Double Pass" MPEG-2: The sequence will be rendered twice, duplicating the processing time.
And things get even worst when you make a "Multipass" H264. The sequence will be rendered 3 TIMES.
So, instead of "Send to Compressor", better to export a self-contained movie with a high quality codec (Prores) and import that in Compressor. The picture quality will be indistinguishable from the one you get by "send to Compressor", and you will reduce the processing time to a fraccion.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]