FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting new 15" mbp retina is it good for fcp

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Newberry
Getting new 15" mbp retina is it good for fcp
on Dec 22, 2012 at 9:39:46 pm

Want to get the lower of the 2 models (258gb ssd model) and want to know if it'll run FCP7 fine

And for the near future: FCPX

And can FCPX AND FCP run on same
Machine together?

C

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Getting new 15" mbp retina is it good for fcp
on Dec 22, 2012 at 10:10:02 pm

It will run FCP7 and is a great machine. FCP7 and X can live on the same machine. When you download FCPX it moves FCP7 into a new folder called Final Cut Studio. So you will have to replace any dock icons with the new path but other than that works fine.
One thing you might want to consider, which is what I ended up doing after chatting to a couple of guys here, is getting the Hi Res anti-glare model.
(1680x1050 rather than 1440x900)
You can have the same i7 2.6 or 2.7 gig processor, same GPU, same 16 gig Ram capacity as the Retina machine (buy from Crucial) so the performance is pretty much identical,
However it retains the optical drive, a FW800 port and a Gig Ethernet port. It has 2 x USB3 ports and of course Thunderbolt. So it offers quite a bit more connectivity without the need for Thunderbolt adapters, which may be a consideration depending on what peripherals you have.
You can use the optical bay to install a 2nd hard drive or an SSD if you don't really need the Superdrive.
The downside is it is slightly thicker to allow it to accommodate the extra space and therefore a touch heavier and obviously the display is not as hi-res as the Retiina. I am in the UK and the base price here of the i7 2.6 is £500 less than the equivalent Retina so quite a saving.
Oh and it does not come with an SSD but you can spec it from Apple but much cheaper from OWC or OCZ or whoever you choose.

Anyway just a thought I am really pleased with mine and it beats my old 8 core Mac Pro in just about most benchmarks.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Chris Newberry
on Dec 22, 2012 at 11:17:49 pm

Hi thank You so much! Your so helpful! I shall b taking all that on board. Although I may got for the retina 15" because best portability is important and I don't need a optical drive! :-)

Thanks again a perfect answer! :-)

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Dec 22, 2012 at 11:31:18 pm

Well sounds like the Retina model is the right choice for you then - the Retina is about a pound lighter and about 6mm thinner and if you don't need the optical drive or need to use that space for an additional drive/SSD then it makes even more sense.
Whichever you go for they are really great little machines, I am sure you will love it.

best wishes
Neil

Return to posts index

Chris Newberry
on Dec 23, 2012 at 10:36:11 pm

Got it today! All very exciting! lol

Would you recommend any apps or tools to help keep the mac running smooth and safe for video editing?

I have installed Perian, Mpeg stream clip, flip4mac, VLC

Thanks again for previous help! :-)

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Dec 24, 2012 at 1:00:33 am

Congratulations I am sure it will serve you well.
One thing that it is worth keeping handy is Digital Rebellion's pref manager - it works with both FCP7 and X, Its free.
If things start going a bit whacky and a pref trash is called for this makes it very simple indeed.
http://www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/
I am not sure if Perian causes any issues with newer OS/FCP - it is no longer supported or developed. I am not aware of specific problems but have heard a few people here recommending it is uninstalled. Perhaps someone else can clarify that one ( dont think its going to cause huge issues so dont worry)

I would also do a permissions repair from time to time - this can weed out odd behaviours.

What type of media do you tend to work with ? What type of media drives are you thinking of getting ? Or are you going to use existing storage ?
How much RAM did you get - It is directly soldered on the Retina motherboard so you cant upgrade that. (which I think is a tad annoying)

Enjoy your new machine and have a great Xmas

best wishes
Neil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]