FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem in Importing Avid EDL in FCP!!!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Moses Ross
Problem in Importing Avid EDL in FCP!!!
on Dec 22, 2012 at 5:42:25 pm

Is it Possible to import an Avid Media Composer 6(Windows 7)EDL in to FCP. I tried a lot of options in Exporting EDl such as CMX3600,CMX3400,File16,etc..., but CMX3600 seems to work in Importing in FCP. But when I reconect it with the source and render, the clip plays from the point where I does not select (From In point to Out point). In simple words it plays before the In point and Out point. What would be the cause for this problem?.

The Source names are not bigger than 8 characters as the videos are made in canon 5d Mark2 camera . The file names will be like MVI_1944(Exactly 8 characters). We edited in Avid 6 in windows 7 and tried to open it in FCP7. CMX 3600 & 3400 works fine but the edited clipd are miss matched from the In and Out of the edited clip.

Suddenly I have this thing in my mind that the Media composer 6 was released in 2011 and FCP 7 was released in 2009. So there is a thing that when we Import an exported thing from a higher version of software to a lower version software, there will be problems.I think this causes the problem because I tried EDL and AAF through BORIS TRANSFER and AUTOMATIC DUCK PRO..... Nothing worked.. It just opens the file but says the the source are missing but when I check the source ,the source are fine.....

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
Re: Problem in Importing Avid EDL in FCP!!!
on Dec 23, 2012 at 11:51:27 am

Well Apple in their infinite greed have made it impossible to import FCP 6 files into FCP 7, two almost identical bits of software, so I'd be mighty surprised if you could import files made in another company's software.

I could be wrong though, so interested to hear other answers.

http://www.rolirivelino.com/

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive
Nvidia Geforce 8800 512mb Graphics card
1x 1Tb external WD 'My Book' eSata

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

Moses Ross
on Dec 23, 2012 at 3:20:27 pm

FCP does import the Avid file but the only main problem is when I play the clip which is in the timeline, the clip plays different positions of the In and Out points of the footage. But the timecode ni the EDL is fine.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 23, 2012 at 6:39:27 pm

[Roli Rivelino] "Well Apple in their infinite greed have made it impossible to import FCP 6 files into FCP 7"

Uh...no. You can open FCP 6 projects with FCP 7 just fine. FCP 7 to FCP 6...that's tricky. Just export XML.

As for the Avid EDL...That question is being handled over on the Avid forum. The issue is with the timecode of DSLR footage, and how both apps read it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Roli Rivelino
on Dec 23, 2012 at 8:07:11 pm

Oh, OK, I stand or rather sit, corrected, maybe it is still worth finding that FCP 7 upgrade then.

http://www.rolirivelino.com/

System
Mac Pro 2.8Gb quad core
8Gb RAM
1x 320Gb 7200 hardrive
1x 1Tb 7200 hardrive
Nvidia Geforce 8800 512mb Graphics card
1x 1Tb external WD 'My Book' eSata

Equipment
Panasonic AG-HVX 200
Firestore FS-100

Return to posts index

Moses Ross
on Dec 24, 2012 at 7:28:46 am

I asked this problem in a Avid forum and they tried to give some solution but none helped and they said to ask this problem in FCP forum.

I think you[Shane Ross] are right.Its how both apps read the DSLR footage. One of my friend said that DSLR footage should be imported in Avid through an AMA link setting so that other apps like FCP and colour correcting softwares could read them when imported.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]