FORUMS: list search recent posts

just one more question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Miller
just one more question
on Dec 21, 2012 at 4:33:58 pm

I just asked about using an iMac for FCP and the response was pretty positive, so I've ordered one.

Thanks to everyone who posted!

One last question and I'll stop bothering you - how do those of you using newer iMacs handle the scratch disk?

There aren't many Thunderbolt external drives as far as I can tell... do you work with USB 3.0 drives?

Any recommendations?

I don't really need a lot of capacity. I have a couple of 4-bay Drobos for storage, but they are Firewire 800 and thus not supported by the new machine (thanks a lot Apple). I can use adapters so I'm not worried about that.

BUT I'd like a 1TB Thunderbolt (or USB 3.0) drive to use exclusively as my scratch disk for FCP and Photoshop.

Any favorites?

Thanks!

f

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: just one more question
on Dec 21, 2012 at 5:30:05 pm

There are LOTS of Thunderbolt hard drives. Just google "Thunderbolt hard drive." Look at what I found.

http://www.caldigit.com/thunderbolt/t1t2.html

http://www.jr.com/lacie/pe/LAC_9000191/

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H8248VC/A/g-tech-4tb-g-raid-thunderbolt-h...

[Frank Miller] "Any favorites?"

Caldigit, the first one I linked to, has always been rock solid for me. I own 4 of their drives.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Frank Miller
on Dec 21, 2012 at 5:36:56 pm

Thanks!

The Caldigit looks great! Why can't I find any dealers that carry them?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 21, 2012 at 5:44:51 pm

Got me. That's between the sales people. Just order it online. I rarely buy from dealers. I mainly order from B&H Photo in NY. Great prices, no sales tax. And they carry CalDigit stuff.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Kaley
on Dec 21, 2012 at 7:04:28 pm

I don't think CalDigit is shipping any Thunderbolt products yet.

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Dec 22, 2012 at 1:35:08 pm

Do you have any eSATA drives you'd like to use from your old setup? If not, they're inexpensive and work great! They're very fast and what we've used for years to handle the speed needed for HD Production.

I mention all of this because LaCie has a great eSATA to Thundebolt dock/bridge! $199 and it has two Thunderbolt ports so it can do pass through (doesn't have to be end of chain) and two eSATA ports. It's small, aluminum, and looks great too.

You can pick up a GRAID 4tb raid for $279 at B&H and other places right now that has eSATA.

Sure, you can buy TB drives...and they're nice...but expensive right now! Wait a while and they'll come down. At least with this device, you an use all of your old, fast, eSATA drives, buy inexpensive eSATA drives, and still take advantage go the speed of TB.

FWIW, you can get TB to FW adaptors and use those FW drives.

Posted from iPad, please excuse typos!

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Prodductions

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Dec 22, 2012 at 2:39:44 pm

Sorry about the FCP X soap box...I think I got confused between this answer and another one I was working on for someone.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]