FORUMS: list search recent posts

Post production solution

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andrew kemler
Post production solution
on Dec 21, 2012 at 4:08:43 pm

hello
I am an editor who works from home and wanted to speed up my work flow. just purchased a 27" IMAC and already own a mac pro 3,1 and a macbook pro 3,1.  
I would like to have 2 or 3 macs accessing the same raid HD enclosure (gigabyte ethernet?) and possibly have the older macs help out with renders in FCP 7 and adobe pro apps CS6. I also have an older cinema display I was going to use for the mac pro but would like to have a  monitor switcher to use with the new imac at times.  Are these things possible? any advice is much appreciated. 
currently the mac pro is running 10.6.8 and the macbok pro is running 10.8.2
thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Post production solution
on Dec 21, 2012 at 5:27:00 pm

[andrew kemler] "I would like to have 2 or 3 macs accessing the same raid HD enclosure (gigabyte ethernet?)"

If you go this route, you'll need not only the storage, but a computer to be the server (only the server) and then Ethernet switches. Small Tree Communications has solutions like this. They are cheap, but not really "home use" cheap. So be aware of that. You can connect a RAID to one machine, and share it via GIG-E Ethernet with another machine...two systems sharing a drive. But more than that and you need more hardware.

[andrew kemler] " and possibly have the older macs help out with renders in FCP 7 and adobe pro apps CS6."

Sorry, FCP and Adobe Premiere don't do distributed rendering across computers. Compressor does, via Apple QMaster. And After Effects can to. But not the editing apps.

[andrew kemler] "I also have an older cinema display I was going to use for the mac pro but would like to have a monitor switcher to use with the new imac at times."

You need a KVM switch for that. Very common.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]