FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best VHS Workflow (supers need to be added)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Bright
Best VHS Workflow (supers need to be added)
on Dec 20, 2012 at 7:19:43 am

Hey guys,

We are about to shoot a Music Video on RED EPIC and would like a VHS tape to be playing in the background on camera + we'd like some shots of the screen with the footage playing.

Normally I would say just shoot this background footage in VHS and have a tape playing through a VCR on the day - however would it be better to shoot in say Canon 5D then add the supers digitally so the format all looks the same? Then dub this onto VHS tape? Or will that not look VHS enough overall?

Thoughts and ideas appreciated.

Cheers,

Sam

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Best VHS Workflow (supers need to be added)
on Dec 20, 2012 at 2:57:18 pm

VHS is standard def and so the footage will be in a 4x3 ratio versus 16x9, so you would have to shoot your band with that in mind, keeping the essential area of the shots "protected" by centering them in the viewfinder of the RED camera. Any graphics that would appear on the VHS playback likewise need to be centered and they must consider the graphics title safe margin of a SD VHS program. Graphics always sucked on VHS, somewhat less so on super-VHS. You want to add the graphics last, and if you really want them clear and visible, what I'd do is not put them on the VHS playback tape, but rather, feed the TV a signal from a DVD player or digital deck and a switcher off-set, and superimpose the graphics live in real time thru the switcher. In that case the VHS tape and machine are just props and not really connected to anything.

If you could describe in more detail the look you are going for here, it might clear up any confusion and I could give better advice. Is the VHS tape supposed to look "period"?

Return to posts index

Sam Bright
on Dec 20, 2012 at 11:26:18 pm

Hey mate,

Thanks for your thoughts

Just to clarify we'd be shooting the VHS footage in 5D. Red camera will be used on the proper shoot where we want the VHS playing in the background.

I don't know if we are able to link here :

- trying to emulate something like this top one
a)

b)

(although this one is a bit too over the top with fuzz)

Do you not think that shooting 5D, editing and putting on supers. Then outputting to a VHS. Will give it a good enough result? I'm pretty sure that's what they did on a) above.

Cheers,

Sam

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 20, 2012 at 11:55:28 pm

How *far* in the "background" is the TV playing the VHS? Will there be cut-away close-ups where a shot of the front of the set fills the screen? If truly in the background, the supers, like lower thirds, will need to be larger than normal for readability from a distance. Old Chyron title generators of that era usually offered only a couple sizes of two basic fonts: a Helvetica and a Times Roman, and only around six colors, of which most people only used white, black, or gold.

If you want to gently degrade the image to add authenticity, you might go to a superstore like Walmart, or a Radio Shack type electronics store, and pick up an RF modulator with composite and/or s-video inputs. These are like ten to twenty bucks. Set the VCR's into SLP 6-hour recording mode. (Yikes!)

Run the feed from your editing timeline or camera playback output in composite analog video, into this modulator, then run an RF cable to the back of any thrift-shop-sourced VHS recorder, and set the modulator and the VCR's tuner to both be on either channel 3 or 4. Get a second VHS machine, and you can dub from one machine to the other, using the RF inputs and outputs instead of the higher-quality RCA connectors, and each generation pass will add more artifacting. Fumbling with the RF cable connection will introduce more noise yet, as will juggling and shaking the feeder deck while it is playing.

Geeze, this is taking me back to the days when we'd go to SF cons and traded bootlegs of Macross and Gundam anime thru a nest of rf converters and Distribution amps, while screeing the episodes...the fifth-generation SLP copies were pretty trippy with artifacts.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 21, 2012 at 3:11:47 am

Now, that's a fun idea: real-live analog. I've got a notion to hook up the ol' VHS deck in the garage to see if it still works.

Think I can dub some Hi-8 tapes to it? I'm guessing yes.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]