FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 6 and Mountain Lion hell

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Fedanzo
FCP 6 and Mountain Lion hell
on Dec 20, 2012 at 6:57:54 am

Alright so I got my new-ish Imac the other day and its all pretty and fast BUT...took my install discs for FCP 6 and..bam...no support for PPC apps error I see... Did some digging around and not sure what I can do at this point. I have seen reports of success by entering a code into Terminal but that did nothing... And I saw a few people do target disk stuff but confused by all that... So what are my options here?

Running a 2.5 quad core Imac currently running 10.8.2 32GIG RAM

PLEASE HELP

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: FCP 6 and Mountain Lion hell
on Dec 20, 2012 at 2:09:37 pm

Sadly I think that FCP 6 relies on a Rosetta component that is not supported on ML. Although FCP6 was intel compatible the installer was somehow Power PC based hence needing Rosetta for it to work. I am pretty sure as yet there is no way around this, but I am sure someone will chime in if there are any hacks or methods to do this. FCP7 is fine although I realise that not much help to you right now, maybe if you can find an upgrade somewhere (Ebay?)
Otherwise there is a thread here where someone had FCP 6.06 already installed on Snow Leopard and then did a ML upgrade (not clean install) that worked.
Maybe thats a very long winded option ?

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1162499

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Jason Barnada
on Dec 20, 2012 at 2:38:40 pm

If you still have Snow Leopard disks laying around put them into your iMac an load up the extras installer and install Rosetta. It should allow you to go ahead and run the and install Rosetta.

FCP6 apps are not PPC just the actual installer. Iv done this back on Lion never tried it on ML so no guarantees.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 20, 2012 at 6:38:54 pm

Does Rosetta even install on Mountain Lion? I thought people tried and it wouldn't work...thus why FCP 6 onto ML was near impossible.

FCP 6 is five years old...VERY old in software years. Trying to get software that old to work on new OS is pretty difficult, if not impossible. And since FCP 7 is no longer sold besides on eBay, used(it at least installs and works on ML)...you might be stuck needing to use older computers and older OS versions.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Jun 13, 2013 at 7:17:34 pm

[Shane Ross] "Does Rosetta even install on Mountain Lion? I thought people tried and it wouldn't work...thus why FCP 6 onto ML was near impossible.

FCP 6 is five years old...VERY old in software years. Trying to get software that old to work on new OS is pretty difficult, if not impossible. And since FCP 7 is no longer sold besides on eBay, used(it at least installs and works on ML)...you might be stuck needing to use older computers and older OS versions.
"

I'm a FCP 6.0.6 user cutting with a rMBP 15" (2012) with ML 10.8.3. No problems to report so far. After buying the laptop, I had to call Apple and order a SL disk. I then installed Rosetta from the Extras which allowed me to then install FCP 6 and do the updates from there. So I confirm that despite being legacy, it's all good!

With every new update, I'm a little concerned though. So I always make a Carbon Clone of my OS before updating.

I hope FCP 6.0.6 will still work with Mavericks. We'll have to start a thread at that time and report back to each other.

Chris

Return to posts index

Eddie Bojorquez
on Dec 1, 2013 at 6:19:09 am

I made a (new) account and am replying for the sole purpose of letting you know:
This completely worked.

I'm on an Intel i7 27" iMac with 10.8.5
Had to reinstall everything (drive went down)
Lost my ability to use FCP 6
Got the install disc and had it error ("because PowerPC applications are no longer supported")
Did a bunch homework on line
Found this suggestion by Jason Barnada
Grabbed my own Snow Leopard disc and installed just Rosetta
Took 10 seconds, looked like nothing happened
Retried installing FCP 6 (Studio 2) and voila

Thanks so much!
•Eddie
(http://www.Studio512.com)

Return to posts index

anna conlon
on Apr 28, 2015 at 11:28:11 am

I have been looking for a solution to this problem for months and this worked for me also.

Used snow leopard to install just rosetta and then was able to install FCP6 so delighted with this ....tots simple after all :P

No problems or errors either

Thanks to Eddie Bojorquez and Jason Barnada for posting this solution

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]