FORUMS: list search recent posts

Non-professional, high quality way to convert Beta to digital via video deck and FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
elisa harris
Non-professional, high quality way to convert Beta to digital via video deck and FCP
on Dec 19, 2012 at 8:16:39 pm

Hi guys,
I've been reading all of the posts so as not to hopefully be redundant with this question (as well as falling down the internet worm-hole of abundant advice), but you all seem over-qualified to answer, so here goes:

I have a set of family Beta tapes that I want to archive digitally (not straight to DVD, I want the digital Quicktime files) in reasonably high-quality.

I bought a Beta video deck and the Pinnacle Dazzle for Mac last year and it does the job, but I can't help but wonder if I can do better, higher quality versions (the output Dazzle produces doesn't even play in any quality on my HDTV through Apple TV/iTunes (showing green pixel boxes where there is lack of digital info).

Anyway--I have a reasonable amount of familiarity with Final Cut to be able to Capture with that software (and have been reading some great advice from this forum and others on the kinds of codecs to use), PROBLEM IS, my dazzle converter is a USB, so I have no luck making the Beta deck and my Mac talk to each other through information transmitted via this converter.

MY QUESION: Is there 1) a magic way to make Final Cut read USB--I'm guessing no, OR 2) is there a reasonable analog to digital video converter WITH Firewire, for non professionals like me who are only reading home movie betas, but want to preserve them in the highest quality possible??

Thanks for reading, thanks in advance for your advice,
Elisa

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Non-professional, high quality way to convert Beta to digital via video deck and FCP
on Dec 19, 2012 at 9:19:52 pm

Canopus ADVC 100...or 110...or 300 if you want built in TBC. This converts composite and S-Video to DV...via firewire. Back when I dealt with SD only I swore by my 110.

http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc110

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

elisa harris
Re: Non-professional, high quality way to convert Beta to digital via video deck and FCP
on Dec 19, 2012 at 9:34:02 pm

Thank you so much, I was just reading about it. Good to know it's endorsed here--
thx again,
Elisa

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]