FORUMS: list search recent posts

iMac (January release) vs. Mac Pro for new editing system

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisha Rigney
iMac (January release) vs. Mac Pro for new editing system
on Dec 18, 2012 at 8:25:06 pm

Hello to all,

I'm about to purchase a new system and 2 resellers have suggested going with the new iMac (27-inch: 3.2GHz, due out in January) instead of a Mac Pro. I've also read Walter Biscardi's blog about his iMac set-up (http://www.biscardicreative.com/blog/2012/08/anatomy-of-an-imac-suite/). Please chime in re; pros/cons going with an iMac set-up as opposed to the Mac Pro and on the below system being recommended.

Initially I'll continue using FCP 7 however eventually making the switch to either Premiere or Avid, probably Avid, since that's where I started from. In addition to the editing software I also use Motion, Color, After Effects and Photoshop. I edit 3 shows for television broadcast and this year will start delivering the shows in HD format.

The iMac being recommended is:

27-inch: 3.2GHz
3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
32 GB Ram
1TB hard drive1
3TB Fusion Drive
2 GB NVIDIA Graphics card

w/a Intensity Extreme Thunderbolt and a Blue Yeti USB mic for voiceovers

Broadcast Monitor:
HP Dreamcolor (http://h10010.http://www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/382087-382087-64283-72270-3884471-36...

As always, thanks so much,
Lisha

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: iMac (January release) vs. Mac Pro for new editing system
on Dec 19, 2012 at 12:27:12 am

The advantage the MacPro has is expandability. Add up to 3 additional internal hard drives, add more RAM and add PCIe devices.

With the use of third party hardware, you can actually have the same expansion with the iMac as the MacPro. One item is the 3 slot Thunderbolt Magma PCIe expansion chassis.

The iMac is just as fast compared to the MacPro. That is if you spend the $200 for the i7 upgrade.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Brian Cooney
on Jan 7, 2013 at 1:46:19 am

I'm waiting on delivery for the 27" i7 with 3TB fusion drive, GTX 680 MX video card and 32GB Ram.. did so much reasearch and back and forth it made my brain hurt. ha. But I'm really excited abouth the decision. I'm an FCP7 user siwtching over to PPro. I already use Motion and AE, photoshop, etc. I think we are going to see a lot more in the future for expansion as well.

MotionFoundry, Inc. Video Post
Clients: GM, AOL, Kohl's, 3 Doors Down, IKEA, Kelloggs, Toyota, Thomas Nelson, NASCAR Affiliates

Return to posts index

Jonathon Williams
on Jan 30, 2013 at 4:31:58 pm

Hi guys,

just a heads up on this. I got the new iMac back in early January (i7, 680MX, 8GB Ram, 1TB fusion drive) and have had massive problems with Final Cut Pro X freezing. Loads of other people are having the same issue too and the common issue between machines is the 680MX graphics card.

Obviously not a problem if you don't plan on using FCPX but just thought I'd give you the heads up.

Apple have got back to us and acknowledged the issue and are trying to get it resolved.

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]