FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will re-transcoded media link in FCP7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mac Caudill
Will re-transcoded media link in FCP7?
on Dec 16, 2012 at 4:38:06 am

It has been suggested to make disc images of my SD cards so they can be mounted on the desktop, but I'm wondering what the purpose of that is.

If you use Log & Transfer to transcode an sd card and edit the footage in FCP, then delete the files after the project is done...can you mount the disc image, re-transcode the files and will they link back into the project? Seems like that wouldn't be possible since FCP would give the files different names.

If it works, that would be super cool! If not, I'm wondering what's the purpose of creating a disc image vs just copying the sd card.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Will re-transcoded media link in FCP7?
on Dec 16, 2012 at 5:19:48 am

Think of your SD cards as your master tapes. If you want to reuse your SD card, you will need to back it up. You can do this by creating a disc image. A program called ShotPut Pro will also copy your cards with verification.

After you are done with your project and delete the media, yes, you can open up Log and Transfer and select batch capture. Log and Transfer will re-trancode your files automatically.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Mac Caudill
on Dec 16, 2012 at 6:11:19 am

Great explanation. It's great there is batch capture like the minidv days! I am new to Log & Transfer (I had been using the Avid Link to AMA with success).

Is Shotput Pro THAT much better than just using Disc Utility to make a disc image? Is Disc Utility not reliable for copying over files?

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Dec 16, 2012 at 3:31:29 pm

ShotPut Pro won't make a disc image but will make an exact duplicate of your SD card.

Here is very good tutorial on tapeless workflow for FCP 7.
http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 16, 2012 at 4:37:38 pm

But what for you wan't to relink to the original files?
If you were working with some heavy stuff (RAW, Uncompressed), makes sense editing with proxy files, but shooting in some kind of compressed codec and editing in Prores after L&T, I don't see the point to relinking nothing.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mac Caudill
on Dec 16, 2012 at 8:51:18 pm

There's been several times that I've needed to go back into a long-deleted project and make changes, hence the need to relink to the original files. This was easy with miniDV tapes as I could recapture the tape(s) and have a project that had been deleted for 6 years sitting right there in front of me. I'll do some tests to make sure but it sounds like batch capture is possible with sd cards.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]