FORUMS: list search recent posts

Greenscreen editing: outline of speaker is shimmering

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fiona Ashe
Greenscreen editing: outline of speaker is shimmering
on Dec 13, 2012 at 10:07:08 pm

Hi,

I'm editing a clip of a person speaking to camera which was recorded against a greenscreen background. It looks great except that the outline of the speaker appears to be shimmering / moving.

Any advice, please?

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Greenscreen editing: outline of speaker is shimmering
on Dec 13, 2012 at 10:18:16 pm

Sounds like the keying software needs to be adjusted. Try the clip and feathering controls, as well as the tolerance settings, and if he's got green spill light bouncing off him, that can be countered somewhat with a magenta hue which comes from turning on the spill-killer plug-in.

A little trick I use sometimes on shaky keys with spill problems is to turn on the drop shadow feature, then use the color sampling tool to select the key color next to the body, to create a rim of even-shaded green or blue that can be feathered and adjusted a bit around the body.

Return to posts index

Fiona Ashe
on Jan 7, 2013 at 11:53:14 pm

Hi Mark, many thanks for your helpful tips. I did adjust the settings and the hairline is good now, but the jacket is still shimmering. Please see details in a comment further down this thread (I couldn't see how to reply to everyone in the thread at once).

Many thanks,
Fiona.

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Dec 13, 2012 at 10:26:49 pm

was xd-cam used as the recording media.? are you recording in 4-2-0 ?
i have that problem with every green screen we do. it really shows up when the talent has fine hair and wearing a dark coat.
to get around it i bought DV Matte Pro. just drop your background into the well and you get a really good key and fine hair is preserved and there is none or very little "sizzle" around the edges. but you have to have a really good flat lit green screen.

Return to posts index

Fiona Ashe
on Jan 7, 2013 at 11:43:13 pm

Thanks very much, Jerry. I will consider trying DV Matte Pro if I end up doing more greenscreen, however this is a once-off, so I’ll muddle through on FCP for now.

Many thanks,
Fiona.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 14, 2012 at 5:48:21 am

[Fiona Ashe] "It looks great except that the outline of the speaker appears to be shimmering / moving. "

Yeah, that'll happen, but without a screen shot of unkeyed footage and knowing more about the codec, it's tough to give good advice.

Except for this: don't use FCP's built-in plain-Jane keyer. It stinks on ice.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Fiona Ashe
on Jan 7, 2013 at 11:34:35 pm

Thanks very much, Dave. I will consider trying DV Matte Pro if I end up doing more greenscreen, however this is a once-off, so I’ll muddle through on FCP for now.

Many thanks,
Fiona.

Return to posts index

Fiona Ashe
on Jan 7, 2013 at 11:49:21 pm

Apologies, Dave, the DV Matte Pro reply was for Jerry above.

Re my original post, I’ve adjusted the settings and I think the hairline is good now. However, much of the dark jacket is shimmering - especially the edge of the jacket on the speaker’s right side (left hand side of the screen as you look at it). It’s most obvious if you watch it fullscreen. I have included a link below for you to watch a clip:
http://vimeo.com/56916144
Password: GreenscreenFCP

The first part is the original footage with no filters apart from colour correction to brighten it up. The second part is the clip with the following filters: colour correction, colour smoother (4-2-2), chroma keyer (edge control: thin/spread 0, softening 15, enhance 0) & and matte choker (edge thin 74, edge feather 51).

The footage was shot on a Sony Z7, 1080i, imported uncompressed. This clip was exported: H.264, 1280 x 720.

Let me know if you need any further information about the settings. I would very much appreciate your advice on how to reduce the shimmering.

Many thanks,
Fiona.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]