FORUMS: list search recent posts

Credits from Photoshop are blurry

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Davies
Credits from Photoshop are blurry
on Dec 13, 2012 at 8:05:29 pm

I created credits in Photoshop and I exported it as one long JPG. However, when I drop it into FCP, it scales it down. I scaled it up and it is really blurry. The JPG has a resolution of 1920 × 10800, so it should be fine. What is happening?

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Credits from Photoshop are blurry
on Dec 13, 2012 at 11:34:21 pm

Hi Matthew

couple of questions:

[Matthew Davies] "I created credits in Photoshop and I exported it as one long JPG."

What do you mean by a "long JPG" ? Do you mean its 1920x10800 and you are creating a rolling caption ? If so that could well give you issues as FCP does not like graphics that exceed 4K in any dimension. But if it is 10800 that would explain the scaling issue.
Are you viewing with the canvas set to 100% because that can make stuff look blurry as the canvas does not scale well.

If you are making a rolling caption why not use the Boris Title Crawl (obv change to roll) or better Motion will do a good job.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Matthew Davies
on Dec 14, 2012 at 12:02:54 am

[Neil Patience] "Do you mean its 1920x10800 and you are creating a rolling caption ?"
Yes. That's what I mean.

[Neil Patience] "Are you viewing with the canvas set to 100%"
No, the canvas is set to something lower than 100% (I don't know what exactly, but it's definitely less...)

[Neil Patience] "If you are making a rolling caption why not use the Boris Title Crawl (obv change to roll) or better Motion will do a good job.
"

I tried using Motion, but I ran into text rendering bugs that wouldn't allow me to change the text size without having weird text rendering. As for Boris Title Crawl, 1) I have to go through and manually re-format all the text, and I can't have a credit scroll longer than about 2 minutes.

So, basically, I can't and shouldn't do it this way? The main problem for me is that none of the options I have will allow me to keep all the rich text formatting and I really, really can't and don't have the time to go through and reformat the entire three pages of credits.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Dec 14, 2012 at 1:41:52 am

[Matthew Davies] "No, the canvas is set to something lower than 100% (I don't know what exactly, but it's definitely less...)"
Well thats going to make things look more blurry - try viewing at 100% to check how it looks.

[Matthew Davies] "and I can't have a credit scroll longer than about 2 minutes. "
You could join 2 or more rolling captions together on separate video layers as long as the speed matches

[Matthew Davies] "So, basically, I can't and shouldn't do it this way? "
Its not the ideal way to achieve this as you are finding out. You may get "out of memory" errors due to the large jpg size. However if its the only still in the sequence you might get away with it. (FCP does not support anything larger than 4K)
If you view at 100% you will get a better indication of quality
Are the captions on black ? I wonder if it would be any better if you created text on a transparent background and saved as a transparent tif.

best wishes
Neil

Return to posts index

Matthew Davies
on Dec 14, 2012 at 3:59:00 am

[Neil Patience] " try viewing at 100% "
Okay...

[Neil Patience] "...as long as the speed matches"
That's the problem :-)

[Neil Patience] "Are the captions on black ?"
Yes.

[Neil Patience] "I wonder if it would be any better if you created text on a transparent background and saved as a transparent tif."
Okay...I will try that...

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Dec 14, 2012 at 9:42:45 am

Cool let me know if any of that works :-)

best wishes
Neil

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 16, 2012 at 11:31:20 pm

If you have After effects you can make the credit roll up, set timing and output a quicktime @ 1920 x 1080 to drop into your sequence. That way you can use the photoshop image at a much higher resolution that 4k

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]