FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression, rendering and exporting FCP or QT

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jay agoglia
Compression, rendering and exporting FCP or QT
on Dec 12, 2012 at 12:35:00 am

HI All,

I am looking for advice, rules or tips for when to use a certain rendering or exporting feature.

It seems to me there several ways within two programs to export, render or save files essentially trans-coding them to a new spec.

IN FCP (7)
Render in the timeline/sequence
Export as QT movie
Export using QT conversion

In QT
Export
or
Save as

Then you have compressor as well

Questions:
What feature do you want to use in certain applications and what do you want to stay away from?

For my purposes I would use these exporting features on a single file to obtain the best quality for editing or further processing like CC encoding or customization. (say 10 bit uncompressed QT from Adobe Pre to a workable 8 bit uncompressed QT in FCP)

example: I had a 30 minute infomercial that when I rendered in the FCP sequence, brief glitches (digital break up/ frame jump) appeared throughout and when I exported using QT the glitches were not there. (?)

on a side note. Is it OK to have both QT-7 and a newer version of QT on the same computer used in production. Does having both versions effect exporting/rendering files in general?

Thank you

Jason Agoglia
QC Manager
On The Spot Media

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Compression, rendering and exporting FCP or QT
on Dec 12, 2012 at 12:36:37 am

I think it depends. What is your final goal?

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 12, 2012 at 1:13:03 am

If you add a clip to a sequence and you have to render...that's a sure sign that something isn't right. You should NOT have to render footage in FCP, unless you add filters or effects. You avoid this by first converting the footage to a codec that FCP works with...like ProRes. If the footage isn't ProRes, then you use Compressor or MPEG STREAMCLIP or the Media Manager in FCP convert it for you. THEN you edit with it in FCP.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 12, 2012 at 1:49:54 am

[jay agoglia] "Export using QT conversion"
QT Conversion supports only 8b, so whatever 10b stuff will be crunched to 8b.
Is OK to make something like an H264.
Another con, is that even having all your time-line rendered, will render again everything.

[jay agoglia] "In QT
Export
or
Save as"

"Export" in QT means always recompression. Even if you are exporting to the same settings than your movie, you will lose a generation. And again, supports only 8b.
"Save as.." just makes a new QT container with the original stuff inside. No processing/re-compression.

[jay agoglia] "Then you have compressor as well"
Compressor process at 8b unless you set "Frame Control ON".
For any quality processing or to keep the 10b integrity on your footage "Frame Control ON".

[jay agoglia] "on a side note. Is it OK to have both QT-7 and a newer version of QT on the same computer used in production. Does having both versions effect exporting/rendering files in general?"
QTX has not export capabilities.
If you are using FCP, you should have QT.7 installed. That will prevent as well some Gamma issues.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

jay agoglia
on Dec 12, 2012 at 5:37:25 pm

Thanks Rafael,

SO even if you choose 10 bit settings in "FCP export using QT conversion" the footage is really being crushed to 8-bit? Why would we be able to select these parameters if not really using a 10-bit processing?

Jason Agoglia
QC Manager
On The Spot Media

Return to posts index

jay agoglia
on Dec 12, 2012 at 6:00:51 pm

Thanks Shane,

If you had a QT 10bit uncompressed that came from Adobe premier which QT recognized as "none" (FCP want to match sequence settings or render) rather than uncompressed and wanted to add titles in FCP;

what method would you use? Compressor or Media manager?

This is the first time I even took notice at Media manager so thank you for that tip!

Jason

Jason Agoglia
QC Manager
On The Spot Media

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 12, 2012 at 6:02:29 pm

Compressor. Convert to ProRes.

But...why not add the titles in Premiere, THEN export?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 13, 2012 at 2:18:42 am

[jay agoglia] "SO even if you choose 10 bit settings in "FCP export using QT conversion" the footage is really being crushed to 8-bit? Why would we be able to select these parameters if not really using a 10-bit processing?"
When you go through "QT Conversion", is not any more FC, but QT who process, and as I said (and Apple too), QT player is limited to 8b.
QT Player only keep stuff in 10b when you "Save as..". Never on "Export".

[jay agoglia] "If you had a QT 10bit uncompressed that came from Adobe premier which QT recognized as "none" "
10b Unc and NONE are completely different stuff.
10b Unc is 10b YUB. NONE is uncompressed 8b RGB.
If you are dealing with 10b Unc stuff edit on a 10b Unc sequence and export with current settings (QT, no QT Conversion). The rendering will be done in 10b Floating Point (High Precision), and your stuff will keep 10b Unc.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]