FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVI to highes quality file for FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jillian Sloan
AVI to highes quality file for FCP
on Dec 10, 2012 at 7:09:13 pm

I recorded in SD and am now dealing with avi files, which I have no experience in and little knowledge of except that it is a "wrapper".

I've tried a couple different export/compression settings using MPEG Streamclip and Compressor, but still have not come up with a high quality video image for my project. What is the best possible, highest quality setting for these avi files?

Files recorded on a Panasonic AVCHD, SD 480/60i 4:3
Final video needs to be 4:3 at H.264

Thank you anyone for your help - this project is giving me an ulcer.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: AVI to highes quality file for FCP
on Dec 10, 2012 at 7:13:40 pm

You need to convert the footage to ProRes NTSC, or DV50. DV/NTSC if the others don't work.

Panasonic AVCHD cameras record SD as AVI files? WHy are you still shooting SD in this day and age?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jillian Sloan
on Dec 10, 2012 at 7:19:08 pm

Is through MPEG streamclip?

Why am I recording SD - Because I'm an idiot using someone else's camera and couldn't figure out how to record at 4:3 any other way.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 10, 2012 at 7:45:37 pm

Yeah, there is no such thing as 4:3 HD. I hope your clients know this. HD is 16:9...period.

You can do that through MEPG STREAMCLIP. DV50 is also called DVCPRO 50.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jillian Sloan
on Dec 10, 2012 at 7:58:07 pm

Well, I feel a little better now knowing that my error arose out of trying to meet their ratio requirement and that there is in, in fact, not a way to record HD at 4:3...

The Apple ProDV 50 setting seems to be my best option.

Thank you so much for your help!

No SD ever again!!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 11, 2012 at 1:08:40 am

Just to post what I posted at the Apple forum...the same question you had there:

Oh ho ho ho! Do I have a treat for YOU! This is EASY PEASY! And will take no time at all. And the quality will be UNTOUCHED.

Ready? OK...

Use MPEG STREAMCLIP...drop a clip into the drop zone, then hit SAVE AS...and where it says AVI, click on that and choose MOV. BAM! Done in under a second. And then you have a DV/NTSC MOV file that FCP works with natively...no fuss, no muss.

FCP just doesn't like the AVI extension. And that is all you are doing, changing the "container type" of the footage. No conversion, no recompression.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 11, 2012 at 7:41:08 am

[Shane Ross] "Use MPEG STREAMCLIP...drop a clip into the drop zone, then hit SAVE AS...and where it says AVI, click on that and choose MOV. BAM! Done in under a second. And then you have a DV/NTSC MOV file that FCP works with natively...no fuss, no muss. "
You can do the same with QT.
Open and "SAVE AS.." and the file will be rewrapped as QT.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]