FORUMS: list search recent posts

Losing a lot of quality for DVD PLEASE ADVISE SOON!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Scherrah
Losing a lot of quality for DVD PLEASE ADVISE SOON!
on Dec 10, 2012 at 4:19:55 am

Hello all,

This is my first post. I came here, because I am at my wit's end. Here is my story (please pardon my jumping around and incoherent-ness, as I have been awake and working on this problem for almost 36 hours)...

I was given footage (almost three hours that need to be edited to 2.75 hours) in mpeg-4 format. I was asked to edit the footage, create a dvd and create a bluray.

The info for the original footage...
DImensions: 1920x1080
Codecs: H.264, AAC, MPEG-4 ODSM, MPEG-4 SDSM
Total Bit Rate: 19,078
File Size: 661.9 MB

I cannot easily edit this footage in FCP, so I used Compressor and converted the footage to Prores 422.

ProRes 422 Info:
DImensions: 1920x1080
Codecs: Apple ProRes 422, Timecode, AAC
Total Bit Rate: 198, 409
File Size: 12.01 GB

I was able to easily edit this footage, and come up with a really nice production. The problem is, I am noticing a very large difference in image quality between the MPEG-4 and ProRes 422. The ProRes is much more muddied and soft than the original file.

Now, I know I am going to lose quality when I compress for DVD, and that DVDs only hold 8.5GB (I am using Dual Layer) but should I be able to notice such a large difference? The client has asked me to try to fix this problem. Is there anything I can do? Like I said, I have been up for almost 36 hours working on this, and I am lost.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Matt

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Losing a lot of quality for DVD PLEASE ADVISE SOON!
on Dec 10, 2012 at 5:09:38 am

[Matt Scherrah] "The ProRes is much more muddied and soft than the original file. "
Where are you seen that?
On FC's Canvas set at 100% and full quality playback/
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Matt Scherrah
on Dec 10, 2012 at 5:15:11 am

Hello Rafael,

Yes the canvass is set to 100%. I had burned a "review copy" of the production. The first criticism the client had was the poor quality.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 10, 2012 at 10:42:02 am

A plain transcoding to Prores shouldn't produce any picture degradation.
I don't know what to recommend you beside trying other option for transcoding: MPGStreamclip, 5DtoRGB,..
rafael

Return to posts index

Matt Scherrah
on Dec 10, 2012 at 1:43:44 pm

Thank you Rafael, I am trying MPEG Streamclip now. I am thinking that the client is comparing the compressed DVD quality with the RAW footage she gave me. I am going to try mpeg streamclip and see if I get better results. I have also tried adobe media encoder with similar results to COmpressor.

Thanks!

Matt

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 10, 2012 at 3:03:15 pm

[Matt Scherrah] " I am thinking that the client is comparing the compressed DVD quality with the RAW footage she gave me."
Then the problem might be on the MPEG-2 compression.
If the H264/Prores conversion is good, and the MPEG-2 cmpression too, you can get a very good picture on the DVD.
Of course, never as the original.
rafael

Return to posts index

Matt Scherrah
on Dec 10, 2012 at 4:00:50 pm

Rafael, I am assuming I should be looking at the bitrates of these clips. Am I correct? And are the bitrate of the 422 clips high enough to give optimal quality? (I have the bit rates posted in the original comment on this thread)

Matt

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 11, 2012 at 3:33:21 am

Hi matt,
That data-rate is correct.
A first generation Prores is virtually uncompressed quality so you shouldn't see any degradation.
I understand that you have edited that on a sequence matching the footage settings.
Any issue with interlacing/progressive?
Is all your workflow progressive?
rafael

Return to posts index

Matt Scherrah
on Dec 11, 2012 at 4:02:12 am

Yes, all workflow is progressive, but it is not 1st generation. I am working from pre-compressed mpeg4 files, that I had to convert into prores422 in order to edit in FCP. I think that is why I am seeing degradation. I explained to the client that the quality loss is because it is being re-compressed for the DVD, and that the footage will be much higher quality for the Bluray.

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Dec 18, 2012 at 7:22:05 am

An SD downrez is always going to look worse. And squeezing 2:45 onto a dual layer dvd - there's going to be some hit involved with that as well. There's a reason Blu-Ray came around.

Without knowing your client, I would be inclined to make it look more "consumer." Mild sharpening, a bit more contrast/saturation, see what feedback you get in response.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]