FORUMS: list search recent posts

MultiCam issue FCP 7 - can't get timeline correct to edit

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Stembridge
MultiCam issue FCP 7 - can't get timeline correct to edit
on Dec 8, 2012 at 6:14:58 pm

Hi there,

I have 3 tracks, all converted to Pro Res 422. When I drag each individual clip to my timeline, no render needed, they match fine.

When I create the multiclip track and drag it to the timeline, it needs to be rendered. If I go ahead and start editing, it stutters pretty bad. If I render, I lose ability to edit via multitrack.

Any ideas on what could be happening here?

Thanks!

He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. - John 1:10

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: MultiCam issue FCP 7 - can't get timeline correct to edit
on Dec 8, 2012 at 6:39:04 pm

Well, with the one clip, you are trying to play back ONE stream of video. Most hard drives can do that no problem. With a multiclip, you are now trying to play back THREE streams of video at the same time, so you need fast hard drives. Faster than Firewire800 for sure. eSATA, internal secondary SATA (if you are on a MacPro)...Mini SAS, Thunderbolt. And the drives should be at least a 2 drive RAID 0. You need speed here.

Also...make sure in the RT drop down menu on the timeline that you have MULTICLIP PLAYBACK enabled.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Stembridge
on Dec 8, 2012 at 10:42:33 pm

Appreciate it Shane,

That was probably my problem... after converting original files to proRes... they wouldn't fit on my internal 7200rpm drive, and got placed on an external drive connected with only usb 2.0. I have a SATA to express card; but my new Macbook Pro (2.3GHz Core intel i7) doesn't have express card.

I need to look at a thunderbolt solution in the long run. These performances are seasonal, so not a huge biggy at least before spring.

Back to editing the old fashion way.... pre multicam till I can figure out a reasonable solution!

Thank you for responding!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Return to posts index

David Stembridge
on Dec 8, 2012 at 7:00:08 pm

Here's a few screen grabs better illustrating my problem
When I double the multicam track, the Viewer window loads as normal.

As soon as I click on the timeline to start editing, it goes back to one track view in Viewer.

Here's my Viewer Window settings:

He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. - John 1:10

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 8, 2012 at 10:33:57 pm

Enable Multiclip Playback in the RT settings

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Stembridge
on Dec 8, 2012 at 11:07:35 pm

I checked that 1st... it was.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Return to posts index

Ian Phillips
on Mar 4, 2013 at 10:34:36 am

I'm having the same issue running from a thunderbolt LaCie, (MacBook Pro 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB 1333 MHz DDR3) 4 camera multicam (1hour long). Enabled Multiclip Playback in the RT settings, set to 'Open' (I have done a few SD multicam edits before without a problem) Files for this edit have now been converted to proRes. Its all fine until at first but as I get further into the edit then I encounter the same issue as David. My only conclusion is that I'm pushing my system to hard. I've spoken to a friend who had the same problem with FCP7 but more luck with X. I have to use 7 as I email the project back to my client who relinks media and adds graphics before export.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]