FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDV not showing in FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham Dickinson
HDV not showing in FCP 7
on Dec 7, 2012 at 8:11:21 pm

Im trying to get some HDV footage from a Sony Z1U into FCP 7 because FCP X makes the footage look terrible and I don't know why. Anyway, what settings do I need to capture the footage on 7? The ingest box comes up and the camera is controllable so it sees the Sony, but when I tell it to import now, it just remains on a black screen and eventually stops itself saying there is no input from the camera.

Return to posts index

Michael King
Re: HDV not showing in FCP 7
on Dec 8, 2012 at 2:11:27 am

I am having the exact same problem with the exact same equipment. I can see the connection and have device control, but when you playback and try to capture, the time-code rolls, but there is no sound and the screen is black.

This is the second camera I have tried to use to import HDV footage. The first was the Canon XHA1.

Any help with finding how to connect either camera and import footage would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 9, 2012 at 3:15:37 am

First make sure the tapes are HDV and not shot DV. Secondly check menus in the camera to make sure it is exporting as HDV and not downconverting to DV via the firewire connector.

Next make sure FCP has the correct East Setup for HDV at the right frame rate. If all is set correctly, put a tape in the camera. Play a bit of the tape so the camera recognises the correct format. Open up Log & Capture and make sure you have machine control. At this point you should be able to control the camera as a deck and see images from tape. Sometimes you have to go through a specific sequence of powering computer, connecting camera, powering camera, loading tape, opening FCP software and the L&C.

Finally if no luck then it might mean you need to trash preferences. I have seen FCP ignore firewire inputs until prefs were trashed. Use Digital Rebellion's free Prefs Manager. There is a case where HDV shot on a Canon in Progressive mode will only playback with a canon camera. Sometime the Canons need the firewire basic setup to work in the Easy Setups.

Finally never fear a search of this forum as HDV capture problems have been discussed here often.

Return to posts index

Richard van Harderwijk
on Dec 11, 2012 at 11:45:05 am

Hi

I've had the same with the same camera.

In the menu, there is also an iLink downconvert setting. Check that out, in my case it solved the problem. (What it does is downconvert the HDV stream to DV. So the tape and recording is HDV, your FCP settings HDV, but the stream coming in is DV...)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]