FORUMS: list search recent posts

MP4 Alpha Channel in FCP 6.0.6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Riegels
MP4 Alpha Channel in FCP 6.0.6
on Dec 7, 2012 at 1:50:06 am

Okay, so I have some mp4 video clips with a separate alpha channel. There is one file that is the actual video, as in what I want to see, and then the other is is black with white for the parts I do not wish to be transparent. I am not sure how to combine these in Final Cut so as to be able to put them on top of another video. I have already tried doing it under the modify menu, both with the clips (the video and alpha channel) directly on top of each other, and with them is separate lines. I have not been able to get it to work at all. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: MP4 Alpha Channel in FCP 6.0.6
on Dec 7, 2012 at 2:17:41 am

Ben,
What you have in the B&W file is a matte.
You need to put your image on layer 3, the matte on layer 2 and the background you want on layer 1.
Then set your picture (layer 3) as "Travel matte LUMA".
Done.
But start by converting your files to Prores.
FCP doesn't likes MP4.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: MP4 Alpha Channel in FCP 6.0.6
on Dec 7, 2012 at 2:19:49 am

Hi Ben

firstly dont edit with mp4 as like H264 files FCP does not like them, transcode to ProRes before you start editing.

Here is how to use the Matte

You need 3 video layers. Layer 1 is your background video. Layer 2 is your matte (the black and white) Layer 3 is the fill or what you want to superimpose.

Once you have your 3 layers select the top layer 3 and right click and select composite mode travel matte luma

That should be it.

EDIT - HA HA Rafael beat me - but mine has a nice picture :-)

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]