FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage shot at 50fps how to get it to play at 50fps in FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zoe N West
Footage shot at 50fps how to get it to play at 50fps in FCP 7
on Dec 6, 2012 at 12:23:29 pm

Hi everyone

I am working on a project where the majority if the footage has been shot at 25fps 1920 x1080. However some clips have been shot at 50fps 1280x720 on the canon 5D camera. The problem I have is that when I try and view the footage in QT it seems to play at normal speed, not slow motion. When I convert to apple pro res, keeping the clips at 50fps, and import in to FCP 7, it again plays at normal speed, not slow motion. Can anybody offer some advice on how I can get the 50fps footage to play in my sequence at slow motion? Do I need to do something to the footage prior to importing?

Thank you

Zoe

Return to posts index

Oscar Gotti
Re: Footage shot at 50fps how to get it to play at 50fps in FCP 7
on Dec 6, 2012 at 1:29:13 pm

cinema tools, do you have it? view a tutorial on youtube explaining how to get slow motion from cinema tools, hope that helps

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 6, 2012 at 2:02:43 pm

I have a tutorial right here on the Cow on how to do that:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/slow-motion_cinema-tools/1

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 6, 2012 at 3:47:16 pm

[Zoe N West] "The problem I have is that when I try and view the footage in QT it seems to play at normal speed, not slow motion. When I convert to apple pro res, keeping the clips at 50fps, and import in to FCP 7, it again plays at normal speed, not slow motion"
p50 footage is shoot like that to be played at 50 images per second getting smoother picture.
If you wan't it slow down, the clip needs to be played at 25fps but you get that only on cameras with "overcranking": Shoot p50 but the resulting file is flagged to be played automatically at p25, so 50% speed.
You have plain p50 clips that will be played at that speed unless the speed flag is changed to p25, getting the slow down.
Fallow Shane's advice on how to get it done.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Dec 6, 2012 at 6:38:08 pm

It depends on your timeline. If you set your timline up at 25 fps with other footage, and then drop in the 50 fps, then it should play slower, or at 50% of full speed.

If you start a timeline and put the 50 fps footage on it first, then Final Cut will use those settings as it's settings and playing that footage at the original speed of 50 fps, which isn't going to play back in slomo. You can also change the play speed to 50% after dropping it on the timeline and it will play back smoothly since it was recorded at a higher speed.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro
with Final Cut Studio Adobe CS6 Production

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 6, 2012 at 6:57:50 pm

[Brent Dunn] "It depends on your timeline. If you set your timline up at 25 fps with other footage, and then drop in the 50 fps, then it should play slower, or at 50% of full speed."

Wrong. It will play at 25fps all right, but at full speed. Every other frame removed.

[Brent Dunn] "If you start a timeline and put the 50 fps footage on it first, then Final Cut will use those settings as it's settings and playing that footage at the original speed of 50 fps, which isn't going to play back in slomo."

Right...it will do that too. But again, if you put 50fps into a 25fps timeline, it won't play back slow motion. Even if you...

[Brent Dunn] " You can also change the play speed to 50% after dropping it on the timeline and it will play back smoothly since it was recorded at a higher speed."

Wrong again. If you put 50fps into a 25fps timeline, and slow it 50%...it will take the 25fps it is playing, and then slow THOSE frames down. It'll repeat frames...it won't be smooth.

Cinema Tools Conform is what you need to do.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 7, 2012 at 1:32:52 am

[Shane Ross] "[Brent Dunn] " You can also change the play speed to 50% after dropping it on the timeline and it will play back smoothly since it was recorded at a higher speed."

Wrong again. If you put 50fps into a 25fps timeline, and slow it 50%...it will take the 25fps it is playing, and then slow THOSE frames down. It'll repeat frames...it won't be smooth. "

In fact will drop half of the frames and then will interpolate new frames.
Bad business.
The only proper way is by changing the time base of the original file. Slow mo and full original quality.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Zoe N West
on Dec 7, 2012 at 9:49:28 am

Wow thank you so much, makes sense and I'll get cinema tools today

Zoe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]