FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 color picker issues, Retina, Mountain Lion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Rourke
FCP7 color picker issues, Retina, Mountain Lion
on Dec 5, 2012 at 7:38:20 pm

I recently upgraded to a MacBook Pro Retina with Mountain Lion. I've experienced some strange performance of the color picker in FCP7 when I am white balancing using FCP's color corrector filter. Also when I am making a selection to generate a solid color matte. The colors generated are far from what I expect, and don't always seem consistent when I repeat the process. I've never encountered this prior to Retina and Mountain Lion. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Steve Loh
Re: FCP7 color picker issues, Retina, Mountain Lion
on Jul 24, 2013 at 2:31:08 am

Same thing is happening to me. Mountain Lion. FCP6. MBP Mid-2010.

Did you ever find a solution?

When I use the color picker eyedropper, it's like it's picking from a completely different screen. I tested it, picking from a slug -- completely black -- and yet it returns different color results on different parts of the screen. Not sure if it's consistent geographically (as if it's picking from a layer underneath), but it's a pain in the ass.

Strange thing is, I had one session where it worked just fine, and I color corrected half of my project. But now back to kaput.

I haven't found any other posts about this. Anyone have any ideas?

Return to posts index

Stephen Rourke
on Jul 24, 2013 at 3:21:54 am

No solution yet. I trashed preferences, but that didn't work. You're the first post and it's been 7 months! If it were a common problem, I would have expected more responses.

You describe exactly what I experience. It's as if the color picker is color blind. I am not able to discern a logic to it in terms of the relationship between the selected color and the copied color - it seems random.

Maybe migrating to FCP X is the solution.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 24, 2013 at 5:48:36 am

FCP 7 development stopped before ML and was EOL'd so any issues caused by newer OS and screens will not be fixed. There are potentially many little things like this and the list will just get longer until it breaks completely.

The reason few have responded is that using the picker is not a common practice. I have been grading for years with FCP since 4.5 and then Color and now da Vinci. I almost never used the picker. If you want to stay with FCP7 I suggest at least using Color or da Vinci to grade. Much more powerful and both are essentially free unless you need resolution greater than HD with da Vinci.

Return to posts index

Steve Loh
on Jul 24, 2013 at 8:01:30 am

Solved it! It's due to the Automatic Graphics switching option that Lion introduced with certain systems. Makes sense, since it controls which video processor is being used.

Quit FCP, go to the Mac's System Preferences>Energy Saver and unselect (uncheck) the Automatic Graphics switching box. Then restart FCP, and the color picker should pick the right colors now.

Return to posts index

Cliff Durfee
on Dec 18, 2013 at 5:41:56 am

I did the step "Quit FCP, go to the Mac's System Preferences>Energy Saver and unselect (uncheck) the Automatic Graphics switching box. Then restart FCP, and the color picker should pick the right colors now." On my MacBookPro, OS 10.8.5, and though I am using FCE I was hoping this would solve the problem I'm having with the eyedropper tool in the chroma key process of removing a green screen. When I click the eyedropper to select the green, it seems to pick a random color from blue to red or anything... same program works on my old iMac. Hope you are someone has a solution for this. I had hoped the unchecking that box would have done it. ~Cliff

Return to posts index

Jan Laidlaw
on Aug 31, 2016 at 2:23:46 am

Mine does this too. Is there any work around to be able to chromakey? What a pain. I know the software is ancient now but this is the only serious problem I've had with it so far.

I remember having this problem a few years ago and never was able to figure out why colour picker wouldn't work.

Or maybe I am the last person still using FCP7...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]