FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona Lhi connecting to AJA breakout box setting up with FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jennifer Williamson
Kona Lhi connecting to AJA breakout box setting up with FCP
on Dec 4, 2012 at 3:19:30 pm

I work in a public school teaching video production (I was an editor... not an engineer). So when we were looking to update our audio room we got an astronomical quote that we could not afford. We decided to buy the pieces ourselves and try to install everything. Long story, short, I was able to get everything working except a couple pieces...

I purchased a Kona Lhi card for my MacPro (Dual-Core Intel Xeon) and had it installed. I installed the software that came on my disk. I also purchased the AJA breakout box for the Lhi card. I thought I connected it properly from the back of the card to the back of the breakout box with the cables supplied with the breakout box (a multi-pin connector, BNC, and HDMI).

The rest of the set-up is my problem. Currently we are shooting on Canon XH-A1s (HDV), I was hoping that I could connect the camera to the component in on the breakout box and capture the video this way into FCP 7 (students broke the firewire port). I am starting to wonder if that is even possible. I have tried several setting in FCP and cannot find one that will work... I don't know if my signal from the camera is even being seen by the Kona card.

As you can see, I have no idea how to set this up. If anyone was any find of suggestions, I would LOVE and APPRECIATE them! I do have a HD VTR deck that I cannot seem to connect to the breakout box as an alternate option. It does not have an HDMI or BNC connector on the back.

THANKS!!

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Kona Lhi connecting to AJA breakout box setting up with FCP
on Dec 4, 2012 at 4:15:26 pm

This is not something that I have tried but there is no reason why it wouldn't work as long as all the settings are correct.
You need to make sure that the camera is set to give component out. This is in the signal setup menu and you have to select comp out.
Then you need to go to the Kona setup and make sure that the card is set to the correct standard and select component in (rather than SDI etc)
You will also need to hook up the audio and make sure analogue audio is selected on the Kona settings.

Once thats done you should pretty well be there. Do you have a monitor that you can check whats happening that will make things easier.

I have to confess I don't know what comes out of the component output in terms of 1920x1080 or 1440 etc but you just need an easy setup to match in FCP

If it is 1920x1080 the just use the appropriate Kona LHe HD ProRes setup

The downside of this method is that you wont be able to control the camera via FCP but I guess you can just hit play on the deck and use capture now

That should get you somewhere close - I am not really that experienced with that camera so someone else might chime in with further help.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Jennifer Williamson
on Dec 4, 2012 at 4:41:32 pm

Thank you so much! I can see a signal in FCP capture window. I am much closer now! That's a start. I am not hearing anything yet, but my audio for the computer is set to run through my PreSonus audio board, so that may be something I need to look at. I assume the audio is coming through the component cable, but do I need to send the analog XLR through my board as well for playback? However, I do have an HDMI cable running from the breakout box out to a monitor, but it's still not seeing any video.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Dec 4, 2012 at 5:10:33 pm

Hi
No the component cable does not carry any audio. You need to use the camera audio cable and set the camera to AV1 output.
You then connect the audio to the analogue in on the Kona. You will likely need adapters for this RCA to XLR

Make sure the output of the Kona is set to be the HDMI then you should see something

best wishes
Neil

Return to posts index

Jennifer Williamson
on Dec 5, 2012 at 12:21:07 pm

Ugh, I knew that, had I thought about it for a moment... its been a little frusterating. I have connected my camera audio out of the AV1 spot, it comes out through RCA so the only option I have, at the moment, is to connect it through a BNC to the AES/EBU audio spot. I changed the audio from analog to AES/EBU in the Kona contral panel, but it did not seem to make a difference. I checked the camera and it appears that the audio is defaulted to exit whatever it sees connected as it wouldn't let me change the output. Do I need an XLR adapter for my camera to send it to the analog channel?

Also, in the Kona control panel, I switched the HDMI out, but it still is not sending a signal on my monitor.

Any other thoughts on this? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Dec 5, 2012 at 3:25:15 pm

OK we are getting there. No the audio from your camera is analogue. So yes you need a couple of RCA to XLR adapters.. AES/EBU is digital audio so you will have no luck trying to use that. Make sure your Kona is set to analogue audio in via the XLRs and that should work.
In terms of the HDMI You can switch on colour bars on the Kona panel. If you do that it will at least give you a constant signal that should help you troubleshoot your video monitoring. I assume you are outputting in the correct signal type ? Is your monitor HD if thats what you are using ? Kind of hard for me to diagnose much past that on the video side of things. Hope you work it out.

best wishes
Neil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]