FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP/Soundtrack Pro incompatiblility issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Austin
FCP/Soundtrack Pro incompatiblility issue
on Dec 4, 2012 at 2:01:27 am

Having the STRANGEST problem with FCP7 & Soundtrack Pro. I use "send to" Soundtrack Pro to clean up files. I EQ & click "save."

They sound OK when I play them back in timeline. Then, when I output the QT movie, sound is not in sync, or it's absent!!!

Stranger still... some files on the timeline have artificially added pen-tool fades, or have been lowered completely! As if a ghost in the machine altered the ".wav (sent)" files.

I've tried: saving the .fcp file under a slightly different name... trashing prefs... repairing disk utility permissions. Nothing works. And it doesn't always happen with different projects. But it always occurs in one particular project.

Project settings are 29.97, which represents the majority of clips. My trouble is with Canon 5D footage -- was H264, 23.98... transcoded to Pro Res 422/29.97, with sync audio from digital recorder.

Any clues? Thanks!

"In modern action films, the only people who work up a sweat are the editors." -- Roger Ebert

Return to posts index

Nick Scale
Re: FCP/Soundtrack Pro incompatiblility issue
on Dec 4, 2012 at 8:53:40 am

What was the audio from the recorder converted to? Is it AIFF or WAV or something else?

I've had little issues round-tripping with Soundtrack Pro before, so I generally only send TO Soundtrack and then just flatten them down to AIFFs back out of Soundtrack and re-import them manually to FCP. It reduces flexibility back in FCP, but it's reliable.

Alternatively have you tried in FCP using Tools > Render Manager to delete any audio render files, and then doing a Sequence > Render Only > Mixdown. Does that fix anything?

Nick

Nick Scale | Film Editor | Colourist | Compositor

Return to posts index

Steven Austin
Re: FCP/Soundtrack Pro incompatiblility issue
on Dec 4, 2012 at 5:48:08 pm

I always receive .wav files from the on-set mixer. What I liked about Soundtrack Pro was the ability to fix them without having to flatten & resync them to picture.

But if that's what it takes, I'll have to do it. I did not try messing with Render Manager. Frankly the less I deal with audio the happier I am! It's a regular show that I am stuck prepping, cutting, mixing & coloring. The Producers think that just because a computer has the ability to DO all these things, that it just requires one person. Under a tight deadline!

Anyway, my question is not just how to fix it but what's causing it? I want to avoid this kind of situation again. Why the heck would a ".wav (sent)" file decide to arbitrarily LOWER itself or generate a random fade? That's just WEIRD.

"In modern action films, the only people who work up a sweat are the editors." -- Roger Ebert

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]