FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 - isolate/darken tv screen in frame?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad DeCecco
FCP 7 - isolate/darken tv screen in frame?
on Dec 3, 2012 at 11:28:46 pm

So I shot a VERY low budg job of a speaker talking in front of 2 tv monitors. Of course the client wants them darkened down because they are "distracting" (even tho at the time they said: "Don't worry about it.") I'm good at basic FCP but haven't done a lot of advanced stuff and I def cannot afford to send this out. the camera changes angles about 10 times so I will need a bunch of different mattes I assume. SOmeone suggested a Garbage filter, but wouldn't I have to duplicate the clip to do that? That seems like extra work. IS there a way to mask and darken down the two tv screens in frame that is easier and quick? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
Re: FCP 7 - isolate/darken tv screen in frame?
on Dec 4, 2012 at 1:40:29 am

You might be able to use the Limit Effect area of the 3-way Color Corrector to accomplish this task. Limit based on the top of the Luma range, then bring the right-most highlight area down. Also consider adding a yellow shift on the right-most circle of the 3-way color corrector. Monitors tend to have a blue shift.

Do be careful using this method. It will tame highlights on your subject - possibly unnaturally - and doing the color shift could bring some unwanted results. When in doubt I would focus on making the person look better instead of the monitor.

For the future, this is the kind of thing that adding more/better lighting for the subject, or putting a sheet of ND (under $20) on the front of the monitor would take care of in the future.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Dec 4, 2012 at 7:29:49 am

possibly it will need a combination of what Jeff suggests, PLUS a garbage matte to keep the trims off the subject.
yes, that will require a second track.

COLORISTA was (is?) a 3-way cc tool similar to the FCP one that had build in window creation.

as Jeff points out it would have been simpler to fix on set.
i hope you are charing for this.

nick

Return to posts index

Brad DeCecco
on Dec 4, 2012 at 11:12:26 pm

yeah, I got a tiny bit more, but not what it should be considering they told me they didn't care ON SET. Same old story right? Sigh.

Return to posts index

Brad DeCecco
on Dec 4, 2012 at 11:11:20 pm

Ha, I KNOW! It was os low-budget, they specifically said, just bring your camera, no lights, etc. Because they couldn't afford me. So I just took the subway with my camera, and OF COURSE< I was like "This is the one time I need my lights!" AND I showed them on the monitors, we tried to mess with the house lights, and they said "IT's fine, we don't care, don't worry about it. CLIENTS - AURGH>

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Dec 5, 2012 at 1:23:58 am

If you're shooting for free, make sure you leave with something you're happy to put your name on. If you don't you've given away a mediocre product with your name on it, and you have nothing you want to show for it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]