FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP: "Searching for movie data in file..." On start-up

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
olaf steel
FCP: "Searching for movie data in file..." On start-up
on Dec 3, 2012 at 8:32:56 pm

Hi,

I know this is a question that has been brought up on these forums before, however my problem is slightly different, and the solutions offered in previous posts are not helping.

When I start FCP(7.0.3), the project begins to load, but then I get a box that pops up saying "Searching for movie data in file "XX (XX = names of video clips in project)"." This is a large project - over 90 hours of footage and many sequences. This process, every time I try to start FCP, takes close to 2 hours.

Other posts have suggested that this is usually due to reference files which may no longer be in the project. I do have reference files in the project, however those are not listed in that box that pops up looking for movie data. It seems to be looking for the actual video clips used in sequences.

This all started happening since I made copies of the edit drives - we're using three 4TB G-drives. We have one editor editing remotely, so he has the original edit drives and I have the copied drives.
Another thing that could have be influencing this is that the online house told us, after we had already set the projects up in ProRes, that they only work with DVCPro, so I've converted all the capture scratch files on one of the drives to DVCPro using FCP's Media Manager, and once this problem has been resolved, I hope to convert the rest to DVCPro.

The reference files I have in the project are used to create multiclips, since the cameras cut out all the time at irregular intervals, and FCP won't allow multiclipping of sequences with cuts. So I exported QT ref. files and then imported them again and used PluralEyes to multiclip. No reference files have been deleted, so I don't think they are the cause of this.
I did try starting the project, then deleting all the reference clips within the project, and then saving it as a new project. The only thing that changed is now FCP begins the "Searching for movie data in file "XX"." as soon as the FCP loading window with the slate icon and license info, instead of when it's loading the sequences as it used to.

So I THINK thats all that I've done thats different to normal. If anyone has ANY suggestions on how to fix this, please let me know. I will be very grateful. There is no way I can work on the project if it continues to do this.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Olaf

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: FCP: "Searching for movie data in file..." On start-up
on Dec 4, 2012 at 5:39:52 am

"This all started happening since I made copies of the edit drives - we're using three 4TB G-drives. We have one editor editing remotely, so he has the original edit drives and I have the copied drives. "

do your drives have identical names & file paths.
they have to, really.

the original clips that you used to make the reference files- are they in exactly he same place as they once were?

"Another thing that could have be influencing this is that the online house told us, after we had already set the projects up in ProRes, that they only work with DVCPro, so I've converted all the capture scratch files on one of the drives to DVCPro using FCP's Media Manager, and once this problem has been resolved, I hope to convert the rest to DVCPro."

that's a dangerous move give your reliance on reference files in multiclips.
i think it was quite unnecessary.
you could easily keep working in your chosen format, and convert your FINAL EDIT to DVCPro.
or change on-line houses. (only working in DVCPro sounds a bit dodgy to me)

is it possible to go back to ProRes or is it too late?

nick

Return to posts index

olaf steel
Re: FCP: "Searching for movie data in file..." On start-up
on Dec 5, 2012 at 12:44:38 am

Thanks for your response Nick.

Unfortunately, the Online house belongs to the client, and not only do they want to do the 2nd half of the edit there themselves, but they are very firm on only using DVCPro.

I copied the 3 original edit drives to 3 new drives, and now have a 4th drive which I set FCPs Media Manager function to create the DVCPro files on.
Once that process was complete, I copied all other files and folders from the drive containing the corresponding ProRes files to the new drive. So, yes everything matches the original 3 drives, including the drive names themselves.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]