FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on editing a multiple format program

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Heck
Advice on editing a multiple format program
on Dec 3, 2012 at 6:28:44 pm

Hi all. I typically create educational and corporate programs using only one camera. I was recently involved in a multi camera shoot and the client wants me to edit the final piece. Here's my dilemma.

I shot footage, along with another shooter, filmed the principal footage using the Panasonic HPX-370 camera using the 720-59.94P ACC-I 100/30PN codec. However other cameras were used including a Sony DSR-300 in DVCAM mode, a few Canon DSLR cameras shooting in HD but I don't know the codecs yet, a few Panny cameras shooting in DV mode, and several security cameras from all over the campus, I'm not even sure of the format those record to.

The client has had massive layoffs and one of the layoffs was the person who was to edit this together. They want me to do the edit. My question is this, what would you do, timeline settings wise, to make this all work? I'm using Final Cut Pro 7.0.3 and have compressor and all the other FCP suite programs. The end result will go to a DVD, standard def. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Jeff Heck
NaJor Productions
Indianapolis

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Advice on editing a multiple format program
on Dec 3, 2012 at 7:45:40 pm

DSLR footage = h.264 codec. That codec does not play well in FCP7.

My $.02 (and workflow) - transcode everything to one standard frame rate, resolution, and codec. Preferably ProRes 422 as the codec. This will take some time depending on (1) how much footage you have and (2) what type of computer you have (newer machines crunch through it faster than old Macs).

Get it working when you leave work and in the morning hopefully you'll be good to go.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Jeff Heck
Re: Advice on editing a multiple format program
on Dec 3, 2012 at 8:54:21 pm

Thanks! That's what I though would be the best bet, but I always like to get some type of confirmation.

Jeff Heck
NaJor Productions
Indianapolis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]