FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 help! Progressive Scan

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Rottweiler
FCP 7 help! Progressive Scan
on Dec 2, 2012 at 2:42:59 pm

Hi there guys. Firstly this is my first post, though reading through a gold mine of information on this forum this won't be my last!My names Neal and firstly nice to meet all of you. I work in a very small post house on final.cut 7...though getting ready to upgrade...We make daytime tv...and have always be it sd...our hd transition...hdv. ..XDcam...worked in interlaced. It's mainly all we know.Now we've taken on a series where the commissioners want it shot in Progressive. To achieve a certain look. Then our delivery requirements are to deliver on HDCAM SR in interlaced. Go figure.So we shoot progressive and put into FCP 7. Nice and easy...XDcam transfer.Upon setting the easy setup for FCP. ..we choose the relevant progressive setup...and once footage hits timeline all is well. No adapting settings etc.However this is where confusion starts....sequence settings no matter what we change default back to hdtv1080i! Compressor settings change to 1080p 25 but no matter the way we change it and even the video output...the external monitor still registers as 1080I. Is this normal?The video plays back moreso stuttered on pans and different to what were used to but i understand this is the format?Basically is this normal....and as we are delivering at the end result in interlaced do we start with an interlaced or a progressive timeline considering the end result is interlaced delivery.And yes it automates our field dominance to none....it just looks not half as refined to other programming we see on tv shot on same camera..same format....delivered in interlaced....just wondering if we were missing a trick?Hence this question asking you guys...what I believe the best in the know!Please help.

Nice to meet you!

Neal.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: FCP 7 .... Progressive Scan
on Dec 2, 2012 at 6:04:34 pm

Hi Frank,
Welcome to the best video forum ever :-)

1080 stuff i always recorded on tape and streamed as Interlaced. Is what is called PSF (Progressive Segmented Frame). That means that the progressive stuff instead of being streamed or lay to tape one line after other (1, 2, 3, 4..) is divided in two fields and first are printed/lay the Upper field lines (1, 3, 5,..) and then the Lower field lines (2, 4, 6,..) of the picture.
You just have to edit your stuff on a Progressive (NONE) sequence, and when printing to video the IO card will make it Interlaced (PSF) automatically.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Frank Rottweiler
on Dec 2, 2012 at 6:49:14 pm

Rafael thanks very much indeed for the advice this is exactly what we needed.

Now it looks pretty stuttered in progressive compared to interlaced on FCP. Like slightly less crisp motion/motion blur on pans etc....

Is this to be expected? After all were not brilliantly ofey with progressive this end. Is this the norm?

Watching other progressive programs shot and edited this way look a little less on the motion blure side...or is this rectified moreso when we do lay interlaced to tape?

Thanks.Your a legend

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 4, 2012 at 5:15:38 am

Hi Frank,
All that is normal.
I know well the blur on panning because I use an EX-1, and that blur is a result of the codec. Is very compressed and the only way to avoid artifacts at that data-rate with everything on the frame moving is adding some blur. The only way to avoid it is increasing data rate. That's why I bough long ago a NANO-flash for my Ex-1.

Nothing of what you are seen is wrong. That's p25. Is very close to film (p24). The picture looks always more choppy and movement less smooth.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]