FORUMS: list search recent posts

MacBookPro Retina Display and FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sonya Di Rienzo
MacBookPro Retina Display and FCP7
on Dec 2, 2012 at 4:35:11 am

I bought a new MacBookPro last week with Mountain Lion OS - was unable to install FCS3. the apple store folks told me mountain lion is incompatible with FCP7 so I must use FCPX if I plan on using any of their new macbookpros or iMacs for editing. I'd rather not switch to X but need a laptop.
I might return the computer regardless - I'm concerned about only having 256GB hard drive. Anyway, the Mac Geniuses told me FCPX is much improved since it first came out - true? false? thoughts?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: MacBookPro Retina Display and FCP7
on Dec 2, 2012 at 5:23:40 am

[Sonya Di Rienzo] " the apple store folks told me mountain lion is incompatible with FCP7 so I must use FCPX"
That's absolutely untrue.
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1161034
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 2, 2012 at 7:38:12 am

I have the non-retina model, also running Mountain Lion, and I installed FCP 7 (FCS 3) just fine. No problems at all.

Now, as for the 256GB drive...that's an SSD drive, not a normal hard drive. Tons faster. But, yeah, lacking in size. I got an SSD drive for my computer too (purchased later and installed by myself)...a 500GB one.

Apple store folks tend to be morons when it comes to professional video. They might be up on consumer stuff...but also might be told to push the new apps...upsell. Thus the false information.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sonya Di Rienzo
on Dec 2, 2012 at 6:31:51 pm

thanks Shane - I was debating getting the non retina model after all but the SSD drive is indeed appealing. Sounds like you managed to create the best of all worlds.

Return to posts index

Sonya Di Rienzo
on Dec 2, 2012 at 6:30:39 pm

thank you for the swift response.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Dec 2, 2012 at 8:24:24 pm

I also went the same route as Shane after I saw how much he liked his. I got the Non Retina 15'' with a i7 2.7 gig chip a high res anti glare display. It has the same GPU as the Retina, supports 16 gigs Ram but equally useful is the fact that it has Thunderbolt, USB3 and Firewire 800 connections as well as ethernet and a card reader. So you can easily use your legacy devices without messing with Thunderbolt adapters but the overall power of the machine is the same. Plus it retains the optical drive so you can use that or use the space to add a 2nd hard drive. The whole thing just seemed so much more flexible than the Retina model. Of course you sacrifice the ultra hi res display but that seemed worth it to me.
I just need to add an SSD. But Symphony 6.5 and FCP7 run very well without issue. I am not a big FCPX fan but have tried it and it certainly runs very smoothly too.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Sonya Di Rienzo
on Dec 2, 2012 at 8:42:47 pm

I think I am going to take the exact same route as you - sounds like the winning solution to me. thanks for the advice, S.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]