FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trashed Preferences / whole project corrupted??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
De'elzebub Beastich
Trashed Preferences / whole project corrupted??
on Dec 1, 2012 at 9:32:58 am

Been using FCP for 10+ years so not new to any of this...though Apple products still make me cry like a helpless schoolgirl sometimes, and CreativeCOW threads save me every time...I pray this is another one...

Finished a project, H.264 native (from T2i), didn't touch any settings, still 1080p etc, exported simple "Export -> Quicktime Movie", boom, 10 seconds later I have a 70MB / 6:00 minute file. Beautiful, except ONE little audio fade-out failed, which resulted in a sound disappearing rudely & shockingly, rather than nicely fading out into the ether without notice like proper fade outs do...

Simple enough...I check the FCP timeline, indeed I DID put the fade-out in there correctly (manually w/ keyframes), meaning it was no fault of my own. I played it in the canvas and lo and behold it FAILED to observe the fade-out right there in FCP. I replayed it in FCP, and it SUCCEEDED at observing the fade-out. No problem, I think my usual thoughts, "you know Apple products suck, they exploit children, they make second-rate products yet somehow the 'intellectuals' rave about them", and perform a familiar re-boot of my regrettable iMac. Re-open the FCP project and play it in canvas: SOMETIMES the fade-out succeeds / SOMETIMES it fails, but, feeling lucky, on a "succeed" instance I do a simple "Export -> Quicktime Movie"...and same problem.

I Google some threads...I delete all render files...Google more threads...."trash preferences" seems to be solution...I comply...begin worst night of last 6-12 months.

After trashing preferences, I re-open FCP, reset preferences/settings, re-open project, render, then export. It takes 2 minutes, not 10 seconds to export --> I know I'm not getting a 70MB file straight away. (note: I did NOTHING to the project file during any of this, except re-render once in a while) Export finishes: 1.5GB file. "Exqueeze me?" I gasp. I play it: 5% of it is jarbled dogshit. Not 100% or 90%, but 5%: plenty enough to make it worthless pooh. Try again: same. Google threads: phase 2: uninstall & reinstall FCP. I comply. NO CHANGE!!!

Try to re-play previously exported 70MB MOV files or even import them into FCP: "The movie file "Sequence 2-FIN-00000003" cannot be found, etf***ingcetera". My understanding is the "FIN" part refers to render files, so let me repeat: even when I re-play them in an EXTERNAL video player I see this. Does this...CAN this....have ANYTHING to do with a render file? I'm talking Quicktime, Mpeg Streamclip, and VLC: same error. The first two, after the error prompt, do, however, continue to play the file audio-only. SWEET!!

I'm at a loss. 5 hours ago I was on cloud nine with this project except for ONE little fade-out issue and now I can't even return to that!

Begin Twilight Zone.

W..........T.............FFFFFFFFFFFFF?

Is my whole project corrupted or something? I'm following this guy's robotically-precise instructions to trash preferences (warning: he is not human...):

Apple...

Gee. Zuss.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Trashed Preferences / whole project corrupted??
on Dec 1, 2012 at 1:05:52 pm

First of all did you edit the H264 files directly ? Apologies if you transcoded but It sounds like you went straight for the H264s which is a massive No No. You will find thread after thread here with people who have neglected to transcode their DSLR footage to ProRes, edited the H264 and got themselves into unholy messes with all kinds of odd behaviour from FCP.
Also 6 mins of 1080p H264 should be around 2Gigs not 70MB so something is odd there - did you export a reference movie rather than self contained ?

I didn't watch "Mr Robots" instructions but would suggest Digital Rebellions Pref Manager to trash prefs. You can find that here http://www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/

My feeling is that your woes are caused largely by editing the H264 directly as this kind of crazyness is often caused by that. It may be prefs corrupt as well.

Check out Shanes tutorial here for DSLR footage - might save you. http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Transcode your T3i to ProRes LT and you should find that everything becomes much more happy.

I hope that helps

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Trashed Preferences / whole project corrupted??
on Dec 1, 2012 at 3:58:44 pm

I don't gonna insist in that H264 is not supported by FC.
With 10 years experience you should know it.
Any glitch you get on editing probably is due to that format.

[De'elzebub Beastich] "After trashing preferences, I re-open FCP, reset preferences/settings, re-open project, render, then export. It takes 2 minutes, not 10 seconds to export --> I know I'm not getting a 70MB file straight away. (note: I did NOTHING to the project file during any of this, except re-render once in a while) Export finishes: 1.5GB file. "Exqueeze me?" I gasp. I play it: 5% of it is jarbled dogshit. Not 100% or 90%, but 5%: plenty enough to make it worthless pooh. Try again: same. Google threads: phase 2: uninstall & reinstall FCP. I comply. NO CHANGE!!!

Try to re-play previously exported 70MB MOV files or even import them into FCP: "The movie file "Sequence 2-FIN-00000003" cannot be found, etf***ingcetera". My understanding is the "FIN" part refers to render files, so let me repeat: even when I re-play them in an EXTERNAL video player I see this. Does this...CAN this....have ANYTHING to do with a render file?"

You are messing things exporting Reference movies.
If you don't want to restart your edit with the footage converted to Prores (as Neil wisely suggest), try changing your sequence codec for that and export a Self-contained movie. The file will be much bigger, but then you will be able to transcode it to whatever you want.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]