FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Not optimized" error in FCP7 when importing RGBto5D transcoded clips - should I care?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Ravich
"Not optimized" error in FCP7 when importing RGBto5D transcoded clips - should I care?
on Nov 30, 2012 at 7:35:28 pm

Running FCP7, OS 10.6.8, dual quad core Intel Mac Pro. Big documentary project, lottsa T3i original footage.

Just downloaded 5DtoRGB Lite/demo version and ran my first set of transcodes - APR422 LT - of T3i original 1080 29.97p files. Thing is, when I import the clips into FCP7 I get a "Not optimized" error, reccommending that I re-transcode to something more FCP7 friendly. I cut offending clips into a sequence and they seem to play fine and don't seem to need a render. And judging by bin columns, nothing glaringly different bet/ these non-optimized 5DtoRGB transcoded files and my pre-existing, presumably optimized, log and transfer tool transcoded 5D/7D files (Project is set for APR422 LT 1080 30p.)

Any ideas? Is it one of my 5DtoRGB interface settings? Have to admit I don't understand half of them. I varied up 601-709/broadcast-full range and seem to get the same result. I did disable mux.ing and didn't get the "not optimized" error but audio is of course split out into separate WAV file (hassle) and FCP bin isn't seeing any time code (which I need for transcription purposes.) So still need to mux.

Should I just ignore this message? Thing is, if I just needed a few clips to work with, I'd probably just ignore - but I plan on transcoding A LOT of footage and don't want to have to do it over again.

Thanks, Nick.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: "Not optimized" error in FCP7 when importing RGBto5D transcoded clips - should I care?
on Nov 30, 2012 at 8:15:53 pm

The fact that it was happy without mixed audio suggests the problem is with the audio. Make sure the audio is set to 48khz, only use 16 or 24 bit PCM, little Endian. Do not use any compressed codecs like AAC.

Check those settings on a test file. ProRes422 LT is an FCP edit codec but you should set rec709 as this is correct for HD material from DSLRs and will be correct for a sequence in FCP.

Return to posts index

Nick Ravich
Re: "Not optimized" error in FCP7 when importing RGBto5D transcoded clips - should I care?
on Nov 30, 2012 at 8:39:43 pm

Thanks for the quick response Michael.
Problem is - beyond the muxing, doesn't seem to be any other audio controls in 5DtoRGB.
Checked the original files, and they're 48 khz/16 bit/Little Endian.
Any other ideas? Maybe FCP7 doesn't like the Gamma control?
Nick

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 30, 2012 at 8:48:21 pm

Strange that the demuxed files were OK if it isn't the audio. It may be varying from Rec709 which I wouldn't do.

Do you have render issues? If it plays fine then maybe it his OK to ignore. It might be worth contacting the software people at RGBto5D.

Return to posts index

Nick Ravich
on Nov 30, 2012 at 8:54:23 pm

Don't seem to have render issues. But only transcoded about 2+ minutes worth, about 4 total clips, as a test.
Never rec'd that not optimized prompt in past - so don't really know the risks of ignoring.
Sent an e-mail to Rarevision support but they've been slow to respond in past.
Nick.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 2, 2012 at 2:30:17 pm

I don't think the "Not optimized" has any thing to do with the audio.
The fact is that there is something funky with 5DtoRGB (on the payed version) too, that makes the Prores shows up as an LGOP codec, when, of course, is Intraframe.
Try to conform in Cinematools any Prores from 5DyoRGB and you will see that is impossible. There is something wrong in the way that the application build the QT wrap, the metadata, or whatever.
I think this might be the issue.
However the "Not optimized" changes nothing on editing. No problem with them.

BTW, if you make the painful effort to convert through 5DtoRGB, would be better to do it to Prores or ProresHQ. IMO ProresLT is OK when the footage won't undergo further processing, but if you intend to apply filters, Color Grade, etc. is not the best option.

[Nick Ravich] " I varied up 601-709/broadcast-full range and seem to get the same result."
Keep Broadcast range.

[Nick Ravich] "Sent an e-mail to Rarevision support but they've been slow to respond in past."
Don't bother you. I did it months ago and they posted back but no consistent answers on this issue and another one (Chroma processing as Interlaced on Progressive footage). They haven't fixed nothing.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Nick Ravich
on Dec 3, 2012 at 4:05:23 pm

Rafael-

Thanks much for this.
Was hoping issue was something like that.
This is the one HDSLR transcode app that does exactly what I need for T3i files. So want to stick with it. So I'll just ignore the non-optimized message then.
FWIW I did hear from Rarevision over the weekend and here's what they said-
"This will be fixed for good at some point (it already is, actually), but I don't know exactly which future version of 5DtoRGB will include this fix. It shouldn't be too long until it's available!"
So at least they're aware of the issue and seemingly have fixed it.

Understood about using 701/broadcast range & advantages of different/higher res flavors of ProRes. Been happy with APR422 LT - project is strictly intended for the web at the moment and we don't do any real intensive color correction on it.

Nick.

Return to posts index

Thomas Worth
on Dec 6, 2012 at 8:28:41 pm

The issue is related to the way audio/video is muxed. It shouldn't have anything to do with the video codec itself. It doesn't affect editing performance as FCP7 is overly picky about the way audio/video is interleaved in the MOV file.

Anyway, as Nick pointed out this will be fixed in the next major release of 5DtoRGB Lite/Batch.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]