FORUMS: list search recent posts

DV to quasi-HD - Interlacing, Resolution, Conversion...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Mailer
DV to quasi-HD - Interlacing, Resolution, Conversion...
on Nov 29, 2012 at 11:55:45 am

I've got a handful of related questions on the technical side of a project and I figured it might just be best to gather them up in one thread. Perhaps the thread will help others, the way I have found some threads with related questions helpful for me.

I will state at the outset:
Input --> 720x480 DV, interlaced, 30fps
Output --> Open. In short, the highest quality output possible. I guess I will say the output should be playable on HDTV, and potentially high resolution at festivals.

This brings up a handful of workflow questions.

1. Any Output Specs I should be targeting here, with these goals?

2. For upscaling the DV video to HD (will end up presumably as 1920x1080 with black on the sides) do I want to de-interlace the footage at any point?

2A. If deinterlacing should happen, at what point in the process?
- During conversion to "HD"?
- After conversion but during editing before filters / effects?
- At the very end when all else is done and ready for output?
- Never?

3. Best Sequence Settings for working with the upscaled footage?
- The instructions I have seen tend to suggest converting to "HD" at ProRes422 (ordinary ProRes). I would naturally let FCP set the sequence settings to match the footage, but with my intended deliverable (HDTV / Festival Projection) are any settings in particular ideal?

4. Is there any reason in particular that I would want to consider "720 HD" rather than 1920x1080, other than the fact that less upscaling is involved?

5. Smoothcam / Stabilize filters before vs. after De-Interlacing? Is there a recommended workflow here, assuming I need to deinterlace?

Thanks for any advice, as always.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: DV to quasi-HD - Interlacing, Resolution, Conversion...
on Nov 29, 2012 at 12:41:34 pm

Do you have ANY HD material included in this project?
What is it shot at?

Do you have specs from the festival(s) you'll be submitting?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Bryan Mailer
on Nov 29, 2012 at 1:07:19 pm

Hi. Bits will be shot at HD but they will probably amount to less than 15% of things. Certainly less than 25.

I don't have specs for individual festivals. I was hoping to learn of a setting / workflow that would provide me with the greatest flexibility to meet the requirements of festivals as necessary at the end.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 29, 2012 at 12:49:11 pm

[Bryan Mailer] "1. Any Output Specs I should be targeting here, with these goals?"
If you are editing in prores, export your master in Prores (1920x1080). For delivering, web videos, H264.

[Bryan Mailer] "will end up presumably as 1920x1080 with black on the sides"
In the link on this post you will find the way to crop on upscaling, making a 16x9 picture (no black sides).
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1168199

[Bryan Mailer] "2A. If deinterlacing should happen, at what point in the process?"
Answer on your previous post.

[Bryan Mailer] "3. Best Sequence Settings for working with the upscaled footage?
- The instructions I have seen tend to suggest converting to "HD" at ProRes422 (ordinary ProRes). I would naturally let FCP set the sequence settings to match the footage, but with my intended deliverable (HDTV / Festival Projection) are any settings in particular ideal?"

As the first answer. Master in Prores and then see which are the request of any festival you want to send your movie.

[Bryan Mailer] "4. Is there any reason in particular that I would want to consider "720 HD" rather than 1920x1080, other than the fact that less upscaling is involved?"
Sure.
The smaller the upscale, the less quality you will lose on the process.
If you can go 1280x720 instead of 1920x1080, don't hesitate one second.
Not sure. I would make some tests.
rafael

[Bryan Mailer] "5. Smoothcam / Stabilize filters before vs. after De-Interlacing? "

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Nov 29, 2012 at 1:35:40 pm

If you're heavy on the SD and want to have an HD master, then ya, meet in the middle and go 720p/60p (29.97 works well with this)

Run tests.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 29, 2012 at 2:49:12 pm

Keep in mind that you are taking a 720 x 480 frame size and blowing it up to 1920 x 1080. Without proper conversion hardware/software, your image could possibly look pretty bad.

Teranex is the best hardware. Next would be an i/o device. AJA, Blackmagic and Matrox. Software options, Boris and RedGiant. Compressor could also be considered. The Garbage in Garbage out rule applies to all these options.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]