FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing discrete 5.1 .wavs?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gregg Russell
Editing discrete 5.1 .wavs?
on Nov 28, 2012 at 7:07:59 pm

Say you've received your six discrete 5.1 .wav files from audio post, and you want to make an edit. I would never do this, of course, at this late stage of the game, but suppose my stupid friend wanted to make a small edit -- say, cutting a second or two. Could he simply do this to each .wav in FCP and re-export as .aiffs, prior to assigning the surround positioning in Compressor? Or would some information be lost and/or is there a better procedure?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Editing discrete 5.1 .wavs?
on Nov 28, 2012 at 9:18:51 pm

I would pay the sound post facility to replicate the small edit. That way the adjustments to atmos, music and dialog stems can also be done and a new set of 5.1 deliverables can be made.

Also the edit can be done with the ability to make a clean edit across the mix, something that may be difficult with just the final mix and may require manipulation of underlying tracks like atmos or music.

Return to posts index

Gregg Russell
on Nov 28, 2012 at 9:27:31 pm

Suppose the tracks are all silent where you want to make the edit.

Return to posts index

Gregg Russell
on Nov 28, 2012 at 9:44:15 pm

Better yet, suppose it's a clean edit between scenes, easily crossfaded.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 28, 2012 at 10:02:46 pm

As long as you can also do the stems then go ahead. Just remember if you need to go back to sound post for any further deliverables that the same edit still needs to be made.

Export track by track to make new wavs and label the channels as L,C,R etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]