FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7.03 Multicam struggling

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James de Boer
FCP 7.03 Multicam struggling
on Nov 28, 2012 at 6:06:18 pm

Okay so I'm trying to cut this segment together its a short 3-4 minute health show piece which was shot on Canon DSLR's converted to PRORES 422 HQ and being cut off a 2TB Western Digital NAS Hard Drive with 64mb Cache connected via eSATA. I'm using a MacPro with 2 x 3 GHz quad-Core Intel Xeon and 4GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM...

I've cut with multiucam before and seems to work fine with a 2 camera shoot but once I add a third camera, the clip will play for 4 seconds and start to freeze up and I can't get any real flow going?!

My question is, is this a drive problem or does this have to do with my computer? I know 422 HQ aren't small files but it just seems like this should be do able? Is there a setting within FCP that I should refine? I've tried adjusting the playback quality and tinkering with a few other settings but it doesn't seem to change anything.

Any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

James de Boer
Re: FCP 7.03 Multicam struggling
on Nov 28, 2012 at 6:27:55 pm

I've came to the conclusion that it's most likely the drive that cant handle the information. I tested out the multi cam effect in premiere as well and it did the same thing. I guess these WD Red's can't handle the heat of a 3 camera multicam shoot... Going to try and loading the footage directly onto my computer and edit off that and see what happens.

Return to posts index

James de Boer
on Nov 28, 2012 at 7:07:02 pm

Okay, so even my computer has trouble with using the function... This is bullshit

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Nov 28, 2012 at 7:19:40 pm

Download and run the AJA or Blackmagic speed utility on your external drive and see what speeds you are getting. You didn't give much detail about files you are editing (raster size, frame rate, etc.,) but obviously the speed of your drive needs to be higher than the data rate of the combined streams of ProRes HQ you are trying to use.

Return to posts index

James de Boer
on Nov 28, 2012 at 7:29:09 pm

The footage is shot in 30p 1920 X 1080, Linear PCM. Thanks for the tip, I'll get this app and test out the speed. Looks to me like FCP just can't handle running a 3 cam multicam sequence....

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Nov 28, 2012 at 7:36:17 pm

3 camera is no sweat for FCP (I used to do it all the time). The storage does need to be fast enough though.

Return to posts index

James de Boer
on Nov 28, 2012 at 7:39:49 pm

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 29, 2012 at 2:53:51 pm

[James de Boer] "Okay, so even my computer has trouble with using the function... This is bullshit"

Just because you have a computer and a hard drive never assume you can do everything.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]