FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tutorial for Editing Music in any NLE (FCP preferred)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Pop
Tutorial for Editing Music in any NLE (FCP preferred)
on Nov 28, 2012 at 5:15:15 pm

Hey all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I was wondering if anyone could point me to a quick tutorial/tips list for editing music within editing software. I find for my job I am constantly producing 1-2min commercial edits, and I often need to chop up the music quite a bit to get a nice slow start, beat drop, and outro all in the same 1min timeline. I have my own ways of pulling it off but I'm just looking for more professional/faster solutions to this problem so I can spend less time cutting up music tracks and more time focused on the visuals. Thanks very much!

Alex

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
Re: Tutorial for Editing Music in any NLE (FCP preferred)
on Nov 28, 2012 at 6:07:10 pm

Have you tried Soundtrack Pro?

It comes in the FC Studio.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 28, 2012 at 6:24:14 pm

I think he means he wants tips on HOW we do it. Techniques used like when to cut from slow to the big part to the end drop. I do this all the time in Avid and FCP.

I know of no resource...I learned it as I went. Was taught by someone who gave me tips, and the rest I just did. You need to find beats that match...then try stuff and see if it works, and if not, try something else, or another song. I can't explain it. I to it until it sounds right. So many editors just slap a cross fade and are done with it...and that's wrong.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 28, 2012 at 9:28:37 pm

With most music you only need to be able to count to four and identify the first beat in a bar. That said, not all melody is so confined. I edit music all the time but I have also been a drummer for 50 years.

Start with a basic understanding of time signatures.

Return to posts index

Alex Pop
on Nov 28, 2012 at 10:21:00 pm

This. Would love to take a look at a timeline while someone is cutting up a track, just to give me some ideas. I have a really rudimentary understanding of 4-count beats etc and what I produce generally sounds OK to clients and viewers. Just want to see if I can step it up a notch. Occasionally I will use single drum hits/premade rises etc and am trying to incorporate those more as they are a really useful tool for blending all types of music.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 28, 2012 at 10:51:12 pm

Smart Sound was made for folks like us. The lego set of music assembly.

Return to posts index

Alex Pop
on Nov 29, 2012 at 7:24:14 pm

Loving the Smartsound, definitely on the list for when we get some budget. No one's got a music assembly tutorial though?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 29, 2012 at 8:46:16 pm

I learned my audio skills the old fashioned way, using reel to reel tape and a diagonal splicing block to create crossfades. Though it's been decades since using a block, when my NLE or DAW interface presents me with a razor tool or a diagonal line across a transition, I intuitively know what that stuff means from my old hands-on experience.

As far as more modern tips... maybe...

Something like these?

http://www.digitaljuice.com/djtv/detail.aspx?sid=107

http://www.digitaljuice.com/djtv/detail.aspx?sid=122

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]