FORUMS: list search recent posts

Basic Question... Convert to ProRes422?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Mailer
Basic Question... Convert to ProRes422?
on Nov 28, 2012 at 8:53:35 am

I will admit at the outset that I've never really gotten the hang of various codecs and broadcast formats, and I think I would finally like to settle the issue and know what I'm doing in this regard.

I am editing a great deal of DV NTSC footage that sampled as .AVI files.

The resolution is only 720x480, but I am doing a fair amount of titling, roundtripping to Motion, some sound filtering, and so on.

Anyway, I am ending up with TONS of rendering and re-rendering and, in some cases, it is taking a long time and demanding re-renders if all I do is move the files one track up.

Is this a situation where converting to ProRes422 would be wise?

Could someone please outline the drawbacks and benefits of doing so in my situation?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Basic Question... Convert to ProRes422?
on Nov 28, 2012 at 9:16:19 am

[Bryan Mailer] "I am editing a great deal of DV NTSC footage that sampled as .AVI files."
Don't go the Prores way.
There is an easier and faster way to make your AVI/DV working well on FC and without any quality lost.
You just need to rewrap them as QT/DV.
You can do it just by using the "Save as.." in QT player or in MPGStreamclip.
That just rewrap the A/V information inside the AVI, without any rendering.
You get plain DV/QT.
Of course, when you "Save as.." do it as a "Self-contained movie", no "Reference Movie".
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Bryan Mailer
on Nov 28, 2012 at 9:54:05 am

Would just opening the source file in QT and simply Ctrl-S (Save) do the trick? Is it necessary to Save As a new file? I have a number of clips, all 60 minutes long and if "Save" will work, it will be nice not to have to re-link all the editing files in FCP.

Thanks for the tip.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 28, 2012 at 10:27:03 am

[Bryan Mailer] "Would just opening the source file in QT and simply Ctrl-S (Save) do the trick?"
"Ctrl-S" is not any function (may be on PC).
"Cmd-S" is "Save", but you need "Save as..". That's: "Cmd-Shift-S".

[Bryan Mailer] " Is it necessary to Save As a new file?"
Sure.
You can't change all the "envelope" without writing a new file.
Is not just changing the file extension.

[Bryan Mailer] "I have a number of clips, all 60 minutes long and if "Save" will work, it will be nice not to have to re-link all the editing files in FCP."
The new file will have the same name, length etc, but different extension and probably some other metadata (reel number?). Not sure if FC will re-link it.
rafael

Return to posts index

Bryan Mailer
on Nov 28, 2012 at 12:21:57 pm

Thanks for the advice. Will probably save me about five years of converting, compressing and rendering.

Return to posts index

Bryan Mailer
on Nov 28, 2012 at 12:56:16 pm

If I have Quicktime .MOV files and I am still running into these ridiculous re-renders, is there something else that can be done? Is .MOV the ideal format for heavy editing?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 28, 2012 at 2:07:10 pm

[Bryan Mailer] "If I have Quicktime .MOV files and I am still running into these ridiculous re-renders, is there something else that can be done? Is .MOV the ideal format for heavy editing?"
If you have to render QT files, is because the footage and the sequence setting don't fully match.

[Bryan Mailer] "Is .MOV the ideal format for heavy editing?"
Qt files (.mov) are the only directly supported by FC.
rafael

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 28, 2012 at 4:41:20 pm

[Rafael Amador] "If you have to render QT files, is because the footage and the sequence setting don't fully match."

Meaning...you MUST make the sequence match the clip format. To do that make a new sequence, drop a clip into it, when FCP asks "do you want to make the sequence match the clip settings?"...click YES or OK.

If you put a clip into a timeline and you immediately have to render, that's your first clue that something isn't right...and you need to fix it before you proceed.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bryan Mailer
on Nov 29, 2012 at 11:57:20 am

Thanks for the tips.

It now seems that if I want to experiment with upscaling the footage to something playable as "HD or the best facsimile" that conversion to ProRes422 becomes necessary.

If I understand correctly.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 29, 2012 at 12:06:28 pm

[Bryan Mailer] "It now seems that if I want to experiment with upscaling the footage to something playable as "HD or the best facsimile" that conversion to ProRes422 becomes necessary."
If you are upscaling, the best option is to go to Prores to avoid further compression.
When you use Compressor with the "Frame Control ON", the process is done in Floating Point, so makes sense to put out a 10b codec.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]