FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone tried this?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alexander Kallas
Anyone tried this?
on Nov 28, 2012 at 4:51:05 am

Anyone tried this?
http://www.larryjordan.biz/compressor-up-res/?utm_source=Larry%27s+Newslett...

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Anyone tried this?
on Nov 28, 2012 at 6:49:46 am

With my own settings...yes. I do that quite a bit.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 28, 2012 at 11:04:16 am

Nothing new on this process.
Some points are unnecessary, like when chosing Pixels aspect.
When upscaling to 1920x1080, you can chose Square, but you can also check "Default for size" (1920x1080 is always squared), or even you can chose nothing. The movie will always be displayed as squared pixels, unless other thing is specified.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
on Nov 28, 2012 at 1:00:45 pm

...and does it really improve the quality?

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 28, 2012 at 2:03:36 pm

[Alexander Kallas] "..and does it really improve the quality?"
The only thing can improve the quality in that workflow, is using the best upscaling filter in Compressor, which is better than the default FC filter.
Rafael

Return to posts index

Bryan Mailer
on Nov 28, 2012 at 4:07:28 pm

Interesting thread.

I don't have anything to add technically, just noting that the Larry Jordan article and the original question seem to address some issues that I have been trying to solve. And so far, I think my questions have just made me come across like a nutcase trying to do something impossible.

Return to posts index

Bryan Mailer
on Nov 28, 2012 at 4:08:44 pm

Does this technique with Compressor need to be done with the entire source file, or can it be done simply with a segment in an FCP timeline?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 28, 2012 at 4:25:39 pm

This technique is done to QT files. And if you only want part of that QT file done, you can set IN and OUT points in Compressor.

And no, this won't improve the quality of the footage, it will just blow up SD to HD and make it look....less bad.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bryan Mailer
on Nov 28, 2012 at 4:34:48 pm

Thanks.

That's all I've wanted. I know I can't turn SD into something originally shot HD. I just want to do everything in my power to get the quality as high (less crappy) as possible.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 28, 2012 at 8:06:37 pm

You might want to look at Instant HD from Red Giant Software.

Although the name of the plugin implies something else, it just HELPS SD video look less bad. But it does help.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bryan Mailer
on Nov 29, 2012 at 7:32:26 am

Thanks for the recommendation.

From what I have been able to turn up, they seem to have discontinued this plugin because Compressor caught up to it.

Is that consistent with people's experience?

Magic Bullet Instant HD Advanced Discontinued

Why has Magic Bullet Instant HD Advanced Been Discontinued?

Our goal at Red Giant is to always offer unique products that are a high value and the best of breed in their respective category. If a product does not meet this criteria, we either add new features or consider discontinuing it.

Since the release of Magic Bullet Instant HD Advanced in 2008, image scaling has become more sophisticated. Built-in tools such as Apple Compressor are now quite strong. Based on this development, we decided Instant HD Advanced no longer meets our criteria and will be discontinued and removed from our product catalog. This means Magic Bullet Instant HD Advanced will NOT be redeveloped for use in Adobe CS5.

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
on Nov 29, 2012 at 7:49:54 am

I think it is still available for Mac.

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 29, 2012 at 8:04:34 am

SHAKE still being the best tool available for up/downscaling on Mac.
If you see a copy to sell on eBay, don't hesitate to buy it. Even if just for this task its really worth.
rafael

Return to posts index

Bryan Mailer
on Nov 29, 2012 at 10:00:25 am

If one is upscaling interlaced DV footage using the Compressor method, into 'best impression of HD' footage, at what point in the process should de-interlacing be applied?

Prior to conversion? After but before editing? Only when editing is done and before exporting the final product?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 29, 2012 at 12:01:30 pm

[Bryan Mailer] "If one is upscaling interlaced DV footage using the Compressor method, into 'best impression of HD' footage, at what point in the process should de-interlacing be applied?"
If you are delivering Progressive, the most logical would be deinterlacing in Compressor at the same time you upscale the footage.
If you deinterlace after editing, it wouldn't make no difference on the plain video, but graphics and other elements (animations, transitions) that have been rendered Interlaced, would need to be deinterlaced too and would lose quality.
Better to edit on a Progressive sequence and make the rendering Progresssive.
rafael

Return to posts index

Alexander Kallas
on Nov 29, 2012 at 11:35:04 pm

Hi Raf,
how do these sweeteners compare with Innobits Video Purifier when delivering for m2v.?

Cheers
Alexander

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 30, 2012 at 1:51:16 am

Hi Alexander,
I ran my tests long ago (FC, Compressor, Purifier, SHAKE), and I can't remember wich position scored Purifier.
SHAKE beat by far all of them and didn't make further test. I stick with SHAKE for every single up/downscale. In fact nowadays I only use it for that.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]