FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiply all keyframed motion by a constant?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Mailer
Multiply all keyframed motion by a constant?
on Nov 27, 2012 at 5:12:30 am

Hi,

I have several clips with extensive keyframed motion at 480x720.

I would like to see how some of it plays out if I change the sequence settings to HD, which would basically require me to zoom everything in at 225%.

Is there a way to do this all at once with the various keyframes? If not, I would basically have to redo every single point from square one.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
Re: Multiply all keyframed motion by a constant?
on Nov 27, 2012 at 6:54:58 am

It's 100% critical to know your deliverable before starting in Final Cut. If you're finishing in 720 HD work in 720 all the way through. Slow computer or otherwise, this is the way to work.

Since you're started you can nest the low res sequence into an HD sequence. This will perform all the moves/scales at low res, then blow the result up to HD, which will be soft. Redoing everything in an HD sequence is the only proper way to handle this situation.

Return to posts index

Bryan Mailer
on Nov 27, 2012 at 7:23:06 am

Hi Jeff, thanks for the reply.

Would the best practice not then be to select the highest resolution that your deliverable might be and then edit at that resolution?

The best analogy I can think of is if you were Werner Herzog with the Timothy Treadwell wilderness tapes. Would it be wise to size them all to HD and then do your titles at that level?

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Nov 27, 2012 at 8:01:38 am

Nope.

When you're hanging pictures on the wall a sledgehammer is overkill. Sure, you'll get the nail in the wall with a sledge, but you'll waste a lot of energy in the process. You can build everything in 4k if you like, but if your deliverable is 1080p you're wasting render time and disc space.

Return to posts index

Bryan Mailer
on Nov 27, 2012 at 8:24:55 am

I appreciate your helping sort things out.

While I am working with a lot of originally 480x720 footage, I just feel like that is not the highest resolution deliverable that might come into play down the road.

I guess maybe I should ask...if you were making Grizzly Man, what settings would you do your editing at and what do you think the highest resolution deliverable might be?

I just want to make sure I make the best decision at the outset and have to duplicate any more work than absolutely necessary.

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Nov 27, 2012 at 9:07:02 am

The basic rules:
Shoot to the deliverable (1080i broadcast, shoot 1080i, not 1080p not 720p, etc.)
Edit based on what was shot

If you have a bunch of SD media (720x480) it would be best to edit in SD, then upres at the end.

If you have mixed media edit to the highest quality deliverable, then convert for the others.

Return to posts index

Bryan Mailer
on Nov 27, 2012 at 9:19:45 am

I guess the only other thing I'd take your time to ask is that if you were doing some extensive titling and effects in Motion (and at a pretty high quality), and they were compromised by pulling them down to 720x480, would that make you consider up-resing the footage before the edit to maintain the integrity of those effects?

If I shrink the titles and effects down for editing purposes, and then up-res everything at the end, those titles will just be blown-up/zoomed-in low-quality, when they were designed at high quality in the first place. Does that make sense?

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 27, 2012 at 11:17:41 am

the answer to the original question is YES, you can "re-size" all your key-framing if you run the sequence though Media Manager.

Create Offline > Set Sequences to" (you flavour of HD)
gives you a new sequence that you can reconnect to existing HD media

if you are simply re-conecting to SD media, then i don't know what the point is,
and maybe it wont work

OR
Recompress > Set Sequences to" (you flavour of HD)
this will blow the media up as well.

im talking about Video Media.
still image media.. well, i'm not sure what will happen there,
other than to say just use "Create Offline"
that will carry any media that doesn't have a TC track, like stills and music.

if you really want to up-scale your SD media AND motion effects, you might need a 3 step operation:
1 use FCP MM to recompress,
2 do a good quality blow up (FCP MM would probably not be the best)
3 reconnect

but try the simplest way first.

nick

Return to posts index

Bryan Mailer
on Nov 27, 2012 at 11:58:15 am

Thanks for the advice. Appreciated.

Return to posts index

Bryan Mailer
on Nov 27, 2012 at 12:20:38 pm

You mentioned doing a 'good quality blow up' and that FCP MM wouldn't be the optimal tool.

Do you have any recommendations?

And are you aware of any filters and/or plugins that can be used with FCP that produce a better result than just '225% zoom'?

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 27, 2012 at 11:09:11 pm

Compressor, which is software you already have.
there are other software solutions, but i'm not sure what they are.

nick

Return to posts index

Bryan Mailer
on Nov 27, 2012 at 1:37:24 pm

As a test, I took one of my 480x720 sequences and customized the setting to 1080x1620, then expanded everything to 225%.

Then exported it, which took FOREVER, and the exported product's file info says it is 1080x1620, but it plays "actual size" at 480x720...

Trying to figure out why has given me a headache, so I'll take a run at it tomorrow, but maybe somebody has the obvious solution due to experience...

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 27, 2012 at 11:12:11 pm

in FCP you should remember to set your sequences to "Best Motion Scaling"
this is in your sequence settings.

but why not just export as 480 and blow that up?

nick

Return to posts index

Bryan Mailer
on Nov 28, 2012 at 3:47:06 am

The main reason is that I have been doing titling and effects at a higher resolution and it seems to make more sense to expand the video to the res of the Motion work, rather than shrink the Motion stuff down to 480, then maybe later on expand the combined project (with its lower res).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]