FORUMS: list search recent posts

multicam won't play in viewer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tammy Jez
multicam won't play in viewer
on Nov 25, 2012 at 10:11:51 pm

Hi, I am unable to view my synced multi cam clips in the viewer. When I play (sync is set to "open"), it stutters and chokes. The audio may continue for a sec, but the video freezes. The clips are ProRes422, the seq is also ProRes 422. My unlimited RT playback is checked. It was a long seq, over an hour. so I deleted all but the 1st 10 min clip. I can work in smaller chunks if need be. All my bins in the browser are collapsed. I am working off multiple hard drives. The project is huge (footage is about 300 gigs), and there's no way I can fit it all on my internal drive. The drive I have the scratch disks set to has 82.5 gigs of free space. Anyone know how I can get this to work? Thanks! :)

PS only 2 cam angles; I have multcam playback checked and also selected lowest playback quality. still doesn't work :(

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
Re: multicam won't play in viewer
on Nov 26, 2012 at 4:10:32 pm

Maybe you can make new vĂ­deos of the segments you are trying to multicam, it might be that even if you selected only the segments FC is strugling because it's really heavy files.
I don't know if that is the problem but it might work.
Multicam is a very intensive proces, I recently made a 8 multiclip in my older tower (2006 2.66 x 2) and I didn't play. It worked on a newer iMac.

Return to posts index

Tammy Jez
on Nov 26, 2012 at 4:32:35 pm

thanks for the suggestion. what do you mean by making new videos?

my computer is a few years old. i have a mac tower w a 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processor.

i'm thinking it might be bc i'm working off external drives... i don't know how to solve that problem tho. there's no way i can put all the media on my internal.

Return to posts index

Phillip Van West
on Nov 27, 2012 at 3:29:24 am

You don't EVER want to store any of your media on your startup drive. Ever. External drives are fine - I'd recommend Firewire 800 or faster. How are your externals connected?

Phil Van West
Terra Nova Productions
Denver, CO
Video Production/Post-Production

Mac Pro 8-core 2.66GHz / 16GB RAM / OS 10.6.7 / FCP 7.0.2 / QT 7.6

Return to posts index

Tammy Jez
on Nov 27, 2012 at 3:50:41 am

really?? i thought that was protocol - to copy everything to your internal hard drive and work off that.

am connected to my external drives via usb! hah! my firewire ports don't work (grrrrr...)

Return to posts index

Daniel Sametz
on Nov 27, 2012 at 4:11:51 pm

That's why is so slow.
My sugestion was to select the part you wanted to multicam and export it as a new video. Then inseted of having 2 videos of 1 hour you have 2 smaller and with smaller size (GB size).
Try to fix your ports because USB is not good por editing.

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Nov 27, 2012 at 4:35:17 pm

If you have a MacPro, you have space for three more internal drives in addition to the system drive. Copy your footage to one of the other drives, assuming you have them installed. Relink and try it. An internal SATA drive should be able to do two streams of video without issue assuming you aren't cutting something like Red footage.
USB external drives won't work reliably.
Drives are pretty cheap and install in about 5 minutes or less. If you add new drives, make sure they are formatted for Mac before trying to use them.

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]