FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7.0.3 crashing like crazy when editing hi-def on my new 27" iMac.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
wayne kurtz
FCP 7.0.3 crashing like crazy when editing hi-def on my new 27" iMac.
on Nov 25, 2012 at 4:05:57 pm

I have been using fcp7.0.3 with sd media with no issues. When I edit hi-def I constantly crash. Right before crashing the canvas window turns green or the media starts flickering, or the wrong clip is displayed. I have reinstalled the o/s 3 times (at Apple genius bar). Have reloaded all applications from scratch (not using time machine).
I have a fuly loaded imac 27", 3.4 ghz intel corei7, 16 gb 1333 mhz, 2 tb hd, upgraded graphics card all from apple. A colleague has the same 27" imac without as much memory and it does not crash. The apple store suggested loading the media directly on the internal HD (rather than use external FW or thunderbolt). As my internal HD is partioned, I have tried that suggestion. Still crashes with hi-def, but not with sd.
The media was shot with sony pmw 350 at 1920x1080 and extracted with sony xd cam software. The compressor of the media is sony xdcam ex 1080i60 (35 mb/s vbr) at 29.97 fps
Has anyone experienced a similar situation? and have you found a solution?
thanks

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
Re: FCP 7.0.3 crashing like crazy when editing hi-def on my new 27" iMac.
on Nov 25, 2012 at 5:09:52 pm

[wayne kurtz] "The apple store suggested loading the media directly on the internal HD (rather than use external FW or thunderbolt). As my internal HD is partioned, I have tried that suggestion. Still crashes with hi-def, but not with sd."

It's never a good idea to have your media on your system drive. Use an external with at least a firewire 800 connection.

[wayne kurtz] "The media was shot with sony pmw 350 at 1920x1080 and extracted with sony xd cam software. The compressor of the media is sony xdcam ex 1080i60 (35 mb/s vbr) at 29.97 fps"

I think you should be transcoding to ProRes 422. It's a much more edit friendly codec (for FCP). What codec does your colleague use?

HTH

Gary

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Nov 25, 2012 at 5:20:03 pm

1) Use external drive for Capture Scratch folder

2) Transcode all media to ProRes for editing

Return to posts index

wayne kurtz
on Nov 25, 2012 at 6:19:49 pm

I will try to apple pro res. I know about not putting media on internal HD, but as the drive is portioned they said it is a separate drive and to try that, as going over FW still bot as fast and perhaps that reason for crashing.
Thanks for the tip

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Nov 25, 2012 at 6:36:45 pm

As I understand it, partitioning is not the same as a separately spinning disk that carries your media and another that runs the Mac and apps.

Firewire is plenty fine for editing ProRes 422 HD files, especially if your external drive is a RAID 0 or better. RAID 0 drives are high capacity and cheap these days. I've been using FW and RAID 0 drives for years with far less powerful Macs than yours. No inherent reason for crashing at all.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Nov 25, 2012 at 7:13:45 pm

[wayne kurtz] "I will try to apple pro res. I know about not putting media on internal HD, but as the drive is portioned they said it is a separate drive and to try that, as going over FW still bot as fast and perhaps that reason for crashing."

While a partitioned hard drive is recognized and shows up in the OS as two separate drives, it is still physically one hard drive. So, this means that one hard drive has to access it's "OS Partition" to run your OS and Apps and at the same time access the "Media Partition" for your HD Media while editing. Any firewire 800 7200 rpm drive (or better) used solely for your media will be a better situation than this. They are inexpensive, especially on the internet right now. While you are shopping for your new external drive today, you might as well grab an SDD and a 3.5" adapter to use as your OS drive. The SSD does not really need to be that big, I'm getting by fine with 128GB SSD's in both my Macs.

I also suggest you use Prores but even if it alleviates the problem, you're still in direct violation of the #1 cardinal rule of editing, "keep media on a separate drive than the OS and Apps, and don't fill the drive over 80% capacity" (or is the #1 rule about backups and redundancy? I forget).

I'm sorry that the "Genius" suggested a partition for your media, that is a terrible suggestion. The Apple Store is great for stuff like setting up a new iPad but not so much for setting up an editing suite.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 25, 2012 at 7:56:44 pm

The clue for me is the flashing green. I suspect your graphics card may be an issue. Apple recommend ATI.

Also what OS are you running. Snow Leopard is probably the safest for 7.0.3. If you are using Lion or ML it maybe less stable.

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Nov 26, 2012 at 3:51:25 am

I've edited XDCAM EX hundreds of time. I disagree with compressing to ProRes. It edits fine and it's much smaller than Prores so it doesn't chew up hard drive space as fast. I have edited from firewire drives without crashes but it was always attached to a MacPro, most of the time the media is a raid 0 HD that runs at about 200MB's per second.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
MacPro Two 2.66GHz Quad Core - AJA Kona LHe
FCS 3 OS X 10.7.4
FCP X, Adobe CS6, Logic Pro, Squeeze, Filemaker

Return to posts index

Tom Matthies
on Nov 26, 2012 at 6:12:31 pm

You're getting transfer speeds of 200MB/sec. through a Firewire connection? How?

E=MC2+/-2db

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Nov 27, 2012 at 6:49:49 am

I'd give a +1 for ProRes.

XDCAM is a long GOP codec. I believe XDCAM35 is like XDCAM50 - 15 frames per group of pictures. I had similar issues with XDCAM50, but using ProRes made things pretty stable. You'll certainly pay for it on disc space, but disc space is cheap compared to half your time being spent restarting Final Cut and getting back to where you were before things crashed.

With current projects kick the sequence compressor over to ProRes, and make sure you're working in 8 bit, not 10 bit. XDCAM is an 8 bit codec, so there won't be any appreciable losses to the footage after color work.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]