FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why did my 300 gigs of media manager converted pro res files disappear after taking 47 hours to render

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glen Jennings
Why did my 300 gigs of media manager converted pro res files disappear after taking 47 hours to render
on Nov 23, 2012 at 11:00:13 pm

I converted 107 gbs of h.264 footage into pro res so that final cut could handle it and it took an estimated 47 hours.

I did this through media manager as advised from some wise editors on creative cow. It's estimated total size was about 300 gb worth of media. I set a folder on a drive with plenty of space.

I came back to my machine after thanksgiving 50 hours later and final cut had created the new project with the supposed pro res media.

First I noticed that all the media had the red slash of offline or missing media. I took a look in the folder I created and only the new project file was in there. But the amount of free space on the drive indicated that there was 300 gb of new files on it somewhere.

I could not find this phantom 300 gb of media anywhere no matter how i searched for it.

I thought hmmm, maybe I'll save and close final cut and restart my machine. After all it had been chugging hard for a couple days.

After restart the first thing I noticed was that my drive suddenly had regained some 300 gbs. my heart sunk. No search could reveal any of the files that it had been slaving over.

What happened here folks???

This is one frustrating setback and I have a looming deadline. At a loss, please advice...

Thanks

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Why did my 300 gigs of media manager converted pro res files disappear after taking 47 hours to render
on Nov 23, 2012 at 11:55:14 pm

If you did this correctly, it would have copied to the drive you selected. I can not tell you where your files are located.

Next time instead of using Media Manager, use Compressor to transcode your files to ProRes. The other option is just change your render settings to ProRes and render your timeline.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Glen Jennings
Re: Why did my 300 gigs of media manager converted pro res files disappear after taking 47 hours to render
on Nov 24, 2012 at 12:24:43 am

Thanks Steve. Yeah I decided to just render through Compresser, batching each folder at a time so I could monitor the progress.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]