FORUMS: list search recent posts

mpeg choosing right format to convert to work in fcp

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david Hartman
mpeg choosing right format to convert to work in fcp
on Nov 23, 2012 at 8:46:53 pm

So i've been running around circles for a month now, just trying to get this one video to work. so right now i used my black magic intensity pro to capture 22 min 1280 x 720p 59.9 fps video. only its a 122gb and a avi. i've been trying several formats to convert to that should work, but some were lower quality or had audio but no video. i thought i had it at one point but it turned out it was h.264 which fcp doesn't really like, even though i spent hours waiting for to render and export. when i tried exporting the h.264 it only exported half of the sequence. so last night i tried converting it to prores again , and once again theres audio but no video.

so my question is this , what settings do i need to punch in to mpeg to get a format that fcp , no loss of quality and most importantly has video. on a side note ,interlace vs de-interlace or neither

fcp version 7

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: mpeg choosing right format to convert to work in fcp
on Nov 23, 2012 at 10:02:07 pm

What kind of camera?

You can't do this through your card. You have to either s log & transfer -- probably with supplemental software from the camera manufacturer -- or you have to transcode the individual video clips that you got from someone else to ProRes 422.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

david Hartman
on Nov 23, 2012 at 10:40:08 pm

no i'm using a capture card on my pc. i captured some game footage, and i want to take what i captured and edit that.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 24, 2012 at 12:19:58 am

Okay, we're going to have to know a lot more about the original video files (wmv's in mpeg, maybe?) and software you used to transcode... as in everything you can tell us about 'em.

It wouldn't hurt to know the horizontal & vertical resolution of the original video files, either. If it's wrong, it could be a problem to use in FCP.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 24, 2012 at 3:16:07 am

Your post is confusing, but, by the post subject, I understand that you have some "mpeg".
The problem with the audio, I guess, is because they have "MP2" audio and QT/FC don't take that.
Try MPGStreamclip which is able to deal with MP2.
Convert to Prores (unscaled) with Uncompressed 48Khz audio.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

david Hartman
on Nov 24, 2012 at 11:16:03 pm

ok sorry for the confusion, let me back up. So i have a capture card installed on my pc to capture live footage from my xbox. from that i captured a video file thats an avi. i opened it a plyer called vlc which game the codec info for it

stream 0

type :video
codec: packed YUV 4:2:2, U;Y;V;Y (UYVY)
resolution: 1280x720
display resolution: 1280x720
frame rate: 59.940060

stream 1

type: audio
codec: PCM S16 LE (araw)
Channels: stereo
sample rate: 48000 Hz
bits per sample : 16

the mpeg i was talking about before is a free convertor program call mpeg stream clip, thats for mac and windows. im using this instead of compressor because it doesn't import avi. but every time i try to convert it to prores or several other formats that final cut can import, it has no audio but no video. the only one so far that has worked is a codec called h.264, but as im finding out trying to export it from final cut, it has some bugs and doesn't completely work with final cut. the problem im having with the exporting is that it only exports half of the sequence. and there is no in or out marks.

by now im just looking for the best quality, and that will work in final cut. the problem will fix it self in a few weeks when my mac tower comes in and can move my capture card in to that , where it will capture in quicktime. also this video is planed to go on youtube.

so is the best way to get from point A to point B?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 25, 2012 at 2:51:34 am

OK, so your problem is that you can't open those AVI in your mac because you don't have the necessary QT Components.
Install "Perian", and try again with MPGStreamclip.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]