FORUMS: list search recent posts

multicam crisis

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kelly armstrong
multicam crisis
on Nov 23, 2012 at 5:48:50 pm

Hello,

I am currently editing a multi cam music video, which was shot with 50 cameras on a grid. The grid has been set up on a wall with 50 gopros filming simultaneously.

We have an enormous amount of rushes. About 2T to be exact. We have a very short deadline and so the transcoded rushes were saved onto three drives to save time. I don't have the time to bring everything onto one drive so I'm working off of three.

I have layered and synced the 50 cameras in final cut on the timeline, however everytime I try and make an edit final cut crashes.

Is this because final cut is having trouble reading the vast amount of footage? Having 50 layers is steep but its the only way for me to edit this video.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: multicam crisis
on Nov 23, 2012 at 6:10:16 pm

I think your going to have to break that down into multiple sequences. For instance if the final video is going to be a "video wall" effect of all 50 angles at once (probably not), break it down so each sequence is only one section of the screen with only a few angles (eg top left section, mid left, lower left, top center etc.). Then export each sequence to "bake in" the effects, then composite it all together.

Are the three external drives your using individual drives or fast RAIDS? How are they connected to your system?

If your using individual FireWire drives to edit a 50 angle multicam clip with a deadline that is so rushed that you don't have time to simply copy media to a drive, someone is crazy.

I'd definitely like to see the end product and some behind the scenes stuff.

Return to posts index

kelly armstrong
on Nov 23, 2012 at 9:35:46 pm

Hi David,

Unfortunately it keeps crashing on me. I tried breaking up the footage into smaller sequences, but its not working.

The footage keeps making this loud buzzing noise and glitches right before fcp crashes. Could this be a problem with the hard drive?

I have all three drives linked up to my computer by firewire 800s. My footage is prores HQ. Maybe the footage is too big for the harddrive/fcp connection to handle?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 24, 2012 at 12:00:00 am

Your computer keeps crashing because it is not powerful enough. ProRes HQ needs a lot of throughput. You need a VERY fast RAID in order to playback your footage. FW800 will NOT playback ProRes HQ.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]