FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setting up a Editing Suite in Mac Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mabel Lau
Setting up a Editing Suite in Mac Pro
on Nov 23, 2012 at 8:31:25 am

Hi guys,

Sorry for such a naive question. I'm new to the setting up of a brand new Mac Pro for editing with FCP 7. I'm going with the

Mac Pro 3.33GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon processor
16GB Ram
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB graphic card

Do I need to install a blackmagic capture card (intensity pro)? What else should I include in my shopping list if I need to edit in FCP 7 and After effect? I'll probably have a external 2TB HDD for starters, and might upgrade to a bigger HDD in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Mabel

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Setting up a Editing Suite in Mac Pro
on Nov 23, 2012 at 5:15:25 pm

Most hardware choices you make are based on the nature of the work you do now and how it may change in the near future. We don't know that, so it's difficult to comment intelligently.

One thing that stands out is your storage: you'll probably want much more. Beyond that, we're kind of lost.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mabel Lau
on Nov 24, 2012 at 10:58:46 pm

This is for an in-house production department. It is used for editing HD commercials for the company, eventually branching out to produce and edit HD commercials for other companies.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 26, 2012 at 3:41:51 pm

Ah. You may not want to be in this forum at all. This forum is for Final Cut Pro 7 users. Or earlier versions. You can no longer get FCP 7. Apple doesn't support it any more.

If you're building for the future, you'll want to build in as much capacity as possible... and I don't think FCP 7 would be the answer. I would look at editing products from Adobe or Avid. You may even want to investigate a different hardware platform that ISN'T an Apple.

Why not choose Apple's currently supported Final Cut Pro, version X? It's widely regarded as a software train wreck.

If you enjoy living on the bleeding edge with little current opportunity to take edits to other applications, I say go for X. If you take it as an article of faith that Apple will continue its current truncated benevolent intentions toward professional users, I say go for X. If you likewise believe in your heart of hearts that Apple Computer of Cupertino, California will even build a desktop computer three years hence, I say stick with Apple.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Mabel Lau
on Nov 26, 2012 at 11:05:08 pm

Thanks very much for your advise. As I have to edit a 30" commercials very soon, I don't have time to learn the new FCP X, I'm more familiar with FCP 7, and hence will be much faster when editing. I'll have FCP X installed as well, just as a backup and to learn how to use it. And I'll need to use After Effect for the job, so I guess I'll have to go for FCP 7 for the time being.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 27, 2012 at 7:39:07 pm

If you have the luxury of getting a new machine every couple-three years, you should be okay with FCP 7.

When the new machine comes in, you should run every blessed OS update there is. Then -- and ONLY then -- you should install Final Cut Suite 3 and run every blessed update.

And when you're convinced everything is running smoothly, you should clone the System Drive on an external drive that can be kept in a safe place; use Carbon Copy Cloner.

And when getting the new machine, trick it out with memory; 64 gigs would not be bad. You're not getting that boatload of memory for FCP, but you ARE getting it for After Effects, Photoshop, etc.

A Bonus: you can install Adobe Production Premium CS6 (or your current version) and start learning Premiere Pro. Eventually, FCP 7 won't run on anything.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Mabel Lau
on Nov 27, 2012 at 11:00:57 pm

Thank you very much, Dave. Your advise helps a lot, I'll keep that in mind. It's a shame that Apple had chose to release FCP X as it did, don't know why there's such a drastic change! I guess I'll have to learn Premier Pro and ditch FCP in the future.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 27, 2012 at 11:22:48 pm

One more thing: every person in this forum who edits in FCP for a living -- as in they own their own business editing pieces that are delivered to agencies, networks, stations, etc. -- will say, "you didn't mention a video monitor".

Do you intend to get one for the suite? You may need the third-party capture card to feed a signal to one, and to output to a deck. Not to mention capturing from a deck.

Dave LaRonde

Return to posts index

Mabel Lau
on Nov 28, 2012 at 12:24:33 am

I'm getting a blackmagic capture card, but the monitor will not be included in the shopping list this time, due to budget issue. But I'll definitely fight for one in the future. Thanks for reminding me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]