FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 slow timeline after title change

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hoon Kang
FCP7 slow timeline after title change
on Nov 22, 2012 at 10:48:23 pm

Hello.

I'm on FCP7 (Mac Pro 4,1, 12GB ram, just freshly installed everything) cutting a documentary with about 60-70 hours of ProRes Proxy material down converted from ProRes 422 for the offline.
We're still in the early stage of editing and I may only have 10 x 30 minute sequences. (Sequence setting matching with my footage codec)

Now, I have several titles in between the clips on the timeline to categorize things, but whenever I change/fix a title, the timeline playback gets sluggish, then after about a couple of minutes it's back to normal. It only happens only after I park on a title and start playing clips. It almost looks like the CPU or memory is tied up doing something for a couple of minutes and back to normal, and can't figure out what's causing it. When I only play footage, I can play hours worth of material without being tied up.
However, full rendering title fixes it, but this did not happen on an old system with worse specs (Mac Pro 1,1) where I was able to play back without a problem even with green render bar.

My still cache is set to 10% but changing it to 5% or 30% did nothing, and all other settings are normal as per my old system.
No drop shadow, but just straight outline text that I've been using for several years.

Would anyone be able to help me out with this?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP7 slow timeline after title change
on Nov 23, 2012 at 2:42:55 am

Sometimes the hard drive might need to seek & buffer so you get a beachball and then off it goes. Perhaps by parking on a title it doesn't buffer the next shots or the drive goes into a power down state. Make sure you have you system set to not allow drives to spin down if there is any idle.

Return to posts index

Hoon Kang
on Nov 23, 2012 at 9:43:40 pm

I never set hard drives to go to sleep/idle so it's always running whenever I'm using the system, and this problem happens as soon as I get out of the title section (about 80%of the time) or if I just pass by a title section so it doesn't look like it's an issue with hard drive.
I've always used DV codec for offline editing and this is my second time using ProRes Proxy, but on my old Mac Pro 1,1 it worked well... Just wondering if it's Mac Pro 4,1 issue? I'm on Snow Leopard.

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Nov 25, 2012 at 5:34:00 pm

Can be several things, but with such an enormous project to be open all at once I'd make 10 projects, one each for4 each 30min program. Also, render the titles as you go, it will probably amount to less waiting time than the beachball.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]