FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best conversion format of MXF conversion from US to UK

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eve Myhill
Best conversion format of MXF conversion from US to UK
on Nov 22, 2012 at 11:27:15 am

Hi All,

We are often sent footage shot from a variety of different crews in America to be green-screened and put into films at our end in the UK. We have no relationship with these crews and are just sent the footage via our client. At the moment we are generally sent MXF format, so raw. We would like them to send it to us ready converted so it can be taken straight into FCP (Version 7).

In order to streamline our process better and ensure a standardized quality level, we would like to give them a bunch of settings or end format expectations so that they send us the best possible quality with minimal compression. As formatting is always my downfall I'm not sure what to ask for.

For example would I ask for H.264 uncompressed 1920 x 1080 at 25 fps? You guys are the mac daddy's at this sort of stuff and your feedback would be truly welcomed. thank you so much in advance.

I had a look around and I dont think there is another forum that covers this, but if I missed it my apologies.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Best conversion format of MXF conversion from US to UK
on Nov 22, 2012 at 12:43:29 pm

Most moder cameras can record both NTSC and PAL time bases, so start by asking them if they can shoot 25fps. Converting time bases is always a pain in the ass, so avoiding timebase conversion will save you time and will ensure better picture quality.
About converting the footage to anything that can be directly edited in FC, the only serious option is Prores. But this will increase the files size. So, if files size is not a problem, ask them Prores. If you care about files size, ask them the original files.

[Eve Myhill] "would I ask for H.264 uncompressed 1920 x 1080 at 25 fps?"
No. H264 is OK for acquisition or distribution, no for production.
Is not supported by FC, so you would need to convert it again to Prores for editing.

Personally, I would ask them to shoot 25fps and send the raw files.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Eve Myhill
Re: Best conversion format of MXF conversion from US to UK
on Nov 22, 2012 at 1:57:17 pm

thank you so much, That all makes a lot of sense. I really appreciate your time and shall pass this info onto my client.

If we get the original files, assumably its just best to compress them through xdcam?

Gnu films
http://www.gnufilms.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]