FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will the ADVC 300 correct these problems?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Mamary
Will the ADVC 300 correct these problems?
on Nov 21, 2012 at 4:36:38 pm

I am capturing damaged 8mm video tapes.
I say damaged because of how the video looks.
I was assured they were not physically damaged, or exposed to harsh elements, and were stored in an apartment where the temperature and humidity have been stable over the years.

I am capturing these videos through my ADVC 110, as opposed to directly through FW, to avoid resulting audio sync issues.

There are what appear to my untrained eye as tracking problems.
However, the camera does not have any tracking control.
(Note: I also have an old 8mm deck, a Sony EV-50, which has limited tracking controls for, stills, slow, and x2, which do not fix the issue.)

What my question is, if I had an ADVC 300, (which though discontinued, I could buy on eBay), would it repair these issues? Or at least improve them in a significant way?

Most of the tapes I have look like this:

These captures are at least watchable, especially if they are the only copy one has of priceless memories.
Some of them are in far worse shape, like this:

Does the TBC in the ADVC 300 correct or improve such issues?

And if not, any suggestions!?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Will the ADVC 300 correct these problems?
on Nov 21, 2012 at 4:56:23 pm

These could also be head clogs, did you try a head cleaning cassette run?

Return to posts index

Richard Mamary
on Nov 21, 2012 at 5:32:28 pm

Thanks for the reply.

The answer is both, yes, and no!

The Sony deck does allow me to use an 8mm cartridge to clean the head, but when I try to use it in the camera, (Sony TRV-129), upon insertion it instantly gives a C:31 error and therefore will not allow me to run it.

Also, there is no benefit yielded on the video image, when I play the tape on the deck after head cleaning.

There is a chance the head cleaning is malfunctioning in some way, even though it is new, but it does beg the question,...
If it was a head clog issue, wouldn't the static lines always be in the same location of the frame?

I am a bit of a newbie, (even after all these years, I'm afraid...), and therefore don't know whether Time Base Correction, (or in this case the built in TBC on the ADVC 300), would improve the playback.

As I already have an ADVC 110, I really can't afford to shell out another $400, unless there is a, "YES!," consensus, that TBC will definitely improve the results!

Thanks again for your help.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 21, 2012 at 6:14:01 pm

IMO those are typical analog drop outs.
I don't think a TBC will help much.
The TBC will do something similar to what you are getting in those picture: When it found a drop, it repeats the last line that has stored in the memory.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Richard Mamary
on Nov 21, 2012 at 6:15:05 pm

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]