FORUMS: list search recent posts

Underwater DSLR 30p footage to be conformed to 23.976 - any other transcode thoughts ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rosie Walunas
Underwater DSLR 30p footage to be conformed to 23.976 - any other transcode thoughts ?
on Nov 21, 2012 at 2:38:56 am

We have some DSLR footage that was shot at 30p and will be transcoding down to 23.976 FPS.

Editing ProRes 422 1920x1080 @ 23.976 FPS.

My understanding is that because we are progressive there doesn't need to be any special treatment for this footage other than making it ProRes and changing the frame rate, right?

Obviously we want the best transcode. Any thoughts on process or buttons to check? Does anyone think it matters if this is done in Compressor or MPEG Streamclip? I've noticed Compressor has a harder time loading and processing DSLR footage in general.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Underwater DSLR 30p footage to be conformed to 23.976 - any other transcode thoughts ?
on Nov 21, 2012 at 2:48:00 am

One method is to use Cinema Tools to change the frame rate. This means the 29.97 is slowed down to play at 23.98 by rewriting the frame rate in the file data. There is no transcoding and it is destructive so you might want to change a copy of the files. Perhaps try a few files and see if that works for you.

If slowing the footage down won't work then you are looking at frame rate conversion in Compressor.

Return to posts index

John Heagy
Re: Underwater DSLR 30p footage to be conformed to 23.976 - any other transcode thoughts ?
on Nov 21, 2012 at 2:56:44 am

30p to 24p is really worse case as far as frame rate conversion goes. You will be dropping significant chunks of time and it will appear "jumpy". Underwater footage may lend itself to optical flow frame creation which is enabled by the highest quality frame rate setting in Compressor.

If you can doing a conform from 30 to 24 will be cleanest but will slow the footage.

The reason you need 24p is all the other footage is 24p?

John

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 21, 2012 at 3:50:56 am

As the other two gents implied, you sort of painted yourself into a corner by shooting at 30p when the rest of the project is 23.976.

The cheapest way by far to deal with the footage is to conform it to 23.976, but as the other two gents also said, you must resolve yourself to the motion being a bit slower.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Nov 21, 2012 at 5:49:10 am

I think that's the idea that the footage will appear slower or smoother because it's underwater being shot cranked up.

The shots are coming from a 5D - so I guess it's 29.97 but I thought that since it's DSLR that's progressive - no scan lines.

The idea is that we want it to look slower, so, should the 29.97 footage be Conformed in Cinema Tools to 23.976 (what we're editing in), rather than simply running through Compressor or MPEG Streamclip so that frames are not lost?

The footage needs to be ProRes and obviously it's coming as H.264. I know that H.264 can't go straight through Cinema Tools so it should go through Compressor first, then through Cinema Tools to conform the frame rate?

Does that make sense?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 21, 2012 at 10:36:08 am

yep, that is all correct.

convert to Prores,
conform in CT to 23.976

it will have a slight slow-down.
you won't even notice it on underwater footage

nick

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 21, 2012 at 11:03:22 am

5DtoRGB makes the best H264 to Prores conversion, and conform to 23,98 at the same time.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

John Christie
on Nov 21, 2012 at 4:58:36 pm

I've done this many times with underwater footage, converting using Cinema Tools. The slow down isn't that noticeable with underwater footage and it helps smooth out the camera moves.

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Nov 24, 2012 at 10:30:44 pm

Yes the idea is to have it ever so slightly more smooth. The film is supposed to be cinematic so anything will help.

Can you Conform the frame rate in Compressor? My understanding is that it has to be done in Cinema Tools to be done properly.

Thanks, everyone!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 24, 2012 at 10:46:35 pm

Compressor can make a new file and do the slow down. Cinema Tools changes the file so it is almost instant and there is less drive space needed.

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Nov 24, 2012 at 10:52:02 pm

So what configurations need to be made in Compressor? Because normally, I just choose the video frame rate and change that when I'm making a regular conversion, but that doesn't speed up or slow down the material - does it? For example, if something is at 25fps and then it needs to be in 30fps, I usually just change the frame rate to be 30fps - it is actually being sped up, or are frames just dropping? I was always under the impression that frames were dropping?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Christie
on Nov 24, 2012 at 11:12:28 pm

Stick with Cinema Tools. No need to be mucking around with Compressor. Here are two videos I've shot that have 30 frame slowed to 24 with Cinema Tools:

Galapagos Islands (around 2:40 in)

Seychelle Islands (around 4:22 in)

The Galapagos footage was mostly GoPro, with some shots from a Nikon underwater point and shoot. I just ran them through Cinema Tools

The Seychelles underwater footage was 60i, I converted it with Cinema Tools and then used the TMTS filter, Blend Fields to remove the interlacing.

I like the slightly slowed down effect of the Cinema Tools converted footage. No one has ever commented that it looks slowed down.

Cheers

John

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Nov 24, 2012 at 11:34:31 pm

Okay, great. Thanks for the assurance.

Usually, on some projects, I've gotten 60p footage, which I transcoded in Compressor, then conformed in Cinema Tools. I will follow that same process.

That footage you share, John, looks great. Have an affection for travel videos.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]