FORUMS: list search recent posts

G-RAID drives - Transferring to different enclosure

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Sigerist
G-RAID drives - Transferring to different enclosure
on Nov 21, 2012 at 2:35:36 am

If there's a better forum for this please let me know.

I have several G-RAID drives. One of my older 3TB drives will not power up. I talked to the folks at G-Tech and they won't help because the drive is about 6 months out of warranty and they don't offer service to out of warranty items.
So...I removed the 2 Seagate 1500GB drives and transferred them to a different enclosure that works. Everything powers up but I get an error: "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer".

It gives me an option to initialize but I'd like to salvage the files. Any ideas out there?

MBP running Lion.

Thanks - Rich

Rich Sigerist
RSVP Creative
Ventura, CA

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: G-RAID drives - Transferring to different enclosure
on Nov 21, 2012 at 2:44:28 am

Enclosures can be more than just power supplies and caddies. I don't know the G-RAID but I suspect the RAID controller is part of the enclosure. It might work to put them in another G-RAID enclosure to back the data up.

An alternative might be to fix the original enclosure. It might be something simple like a failed power supply.

Return to posts index

Rich Sigerist
on Nov 21, 2012 at 7:48:05 am

Thanks Michael.
I've tried installing the drive set into 2 different G-RAID enclosures. With one my computer wouldn't even see the drive.
With the other, the computer saw the drive but couldn't read it. Thus the error message I posted earlier.
Regarding the power supply. I think that's the problem. The challenge is that the G-RAID only contains a small circuit board with the interface and wires to the drives but there is nothing that even looks like a traditional power supply. If I knew where to bring it for repair I'd try that but even G-Tech tech support is pretty worthless right now since they don't offer service on it.

Rich Sigerist
RSVP Creative
Ventura, CA

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Nov 21, 2012 at 4:06:25 pm

Have you tried a different power supply? I have found 90% of the time, it's the power supply.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Rich Sigerist
on Nov 21, 2012 at 7:32:37 pm

Hi Steve,
I'd love to try but as I mentioned, I can't see anything in the enclosure that looks like a power supply. Just a circuit board attached to the on/off switch. I'm going to bring it in to a computer store and see if they have any ideas.
Thanks.

Rich Sigerist
RSVP Creative
Ventura, CA

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Nov 21, 2012 at 8:42:11 pm

[Rich Sigerist] "I can't see anything in the enclosure that looks like a power supply."

The other posters may actually be referring to the external power adaptor block that plugs into the drive enclosure. I can't speak to the G-RAID drives, but I've had a similar problem with OWC Maximus drives that was solved by replacing the AC power adaptor.

HTH

Gary

Return to posts index

Rich Sigerist
on Nov 21, 2012 at 9:27:33 pm

Thanks Gary. There is an external power adaptor and it is working. I can use it to power up the other G-RAID drives I have.
Thanks for your input.
Rich

Rich Sigerist
RSVP Creative
Ventura, CA

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 21, 2012 at 11:51:38 pm

In that case the problem is probably the small circuit inside the enclosure which is the RAID controller. Surely G-RAID can sell you a replacement.

It is also possible the drives themselves are n/g.

Return to posts index

Rich Sigerist
on Nov 22, 2012 at 12:05:14 am

Hi Michael,
G-Tech made it very clear they were not in the service business.
If your drive is a day out of warranty you've got a paper weight.
Maybe I spoke with the wrong person?
Thanks,
Rich

Rich Sigerist
RSVP Creative
Ventura, CA

Return to posts index

Juan Manuel
on Nov 28, 2012 at 8:39:59 pm

There are software to recover data from failed disks if you can't get them to work. If, by some chance, your disk is in NTFS, getdataback from runtime software works very well and they also have a raid reconstruction application if your drive is a raid.
However, I assume its HFS, as you use Macs. A google search will point to you similar software. I've fortunately never needed them, so I can't point you for good Mac software for this.

Return to posts index

Paul Turlick
on Oct 16, 2013 at 6:30:59 pm

Hey Rich-

Having the exact same issues. I haven't transferred my drives to another enclosure though. Trying to find another used enclosure with no luck. Did you ever have any luck with a solution?

Return to posts index

Rich Sigerist
on Oct 16, 2013 at 6:47:17 pm

Hi Paul,

Negative. I've cut bait and moved on.

Good luck.

Rich Sigerist
RSVP Creative
Ventura, CA

Return to posts index

Paul Turlick
on Oct 16, 2013 at 6:53:06 pm

Thanks Rich. One other quick question: when you tried putting the drives in other enclosures were they the same model enclosures (same part #)? I've heard that may be a sticking point as the RAID controllers can be "generation" specific..

Return to posts index

Franz Gerschwiler
on Jun 1, 2015 at 12:50:33 am

Their customer service is pretty pathetic. I liked their products up until my enclosure died and I discovered how little they gave a damn about customers with existing products. It owuld be nice to think that the company you trust your data with has your back when you need a new circuit board or power supply or at least some damned information to help you do a software recovery.

If you can get an enclosure with the same production run you stand a chance by doing a transplant. I have failed to find one for mine so far. Wasted money on 2 drives that I thought were in the same generation but turned out not the case. S/n needs to be very close.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]