FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame Rate Nightmare

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
william saunders
Frame Rate Nightmare
on Nov 20, 2012 at 7:00:29 pm

I'm editing a documentary in FCP 7 and just laid off a DVD of the sequence. There were interlacing issues all over it. I went back through and noticed some of the footage was captured in 23.98 and the sequence is 29.97 (1280x1080 DVCPRO HD 1080i). I'm using compressor to change 1920x1080 23.98 footage to 1280x1080 29.97 DVCPRO 1080i. And i've been swapping out the 23.98 footage. Is this the correct way to go about it? Once i finished that, I sent it to compressor for DVD using 90 minute BEST and the quality still looks bad. The interlacing problem is gone - there is a bit of a stutter during movement, but most of all the quality looks bad. Can anyone suggest a better way to go?

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
Re: Frame Rate Nightmare
on Nov 20, 2012 at 9:43:46 pm

Are you exporting a self-contained QT movie then dropping that into Compressor or in FCP going to File > Export > to Compressor?

Return to posts index

william saunders
on Nov 21, 2012 at 12:31:48 am

I've been sending to compressor straight through final cut. Should I make a QT movie first then send?

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Nov 21, 2012 at 1:33:01 am

I mean theoretically that shouldn't affect the quality of your video, but most people on here, myself included, advocate making a self-contained QT movie. Bring that movie into Compressor, apply the DVD settings, turn on Frame Controls and adjust the Resize filter to Best.

I was just in similar predicament except I had H.264 720p footage. After reading a lot of forums and what not, there doesn't seem to be one solid workflow to put HD footage onto an SD DVD. There are methods that work for some people that don't work for other people. Depends on what format your source footage is, how many effects, the type of content (sports versus interviews), etc.

Return to posts index

william saunders
on Nov 21, 2012 at 1:50:38 am

Thanks Eric, I'll try the self-contained QT. Could my computer monitor have something to do with it? I'm not hooked up to a TV monitor. Maybe that makes a difference?

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Nov 21, 2012 at 2:46:22 am

Oh for sure. Sorry my mistake, I thought you were burning it to a DVD and looking at it on a TV. I would definitely burn an actual DVD and look at it; that's the only way you'll know for sure.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 21, 2012 at 11:29:38 am

Are you mixing two kinds of footage, 23,98 and 29,97 fps stuff?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

william saunders
on Nov 21, 2012 at 6:04:32 pm

Yes - well, i'm going through the painful process of making everything 23.98.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]