FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clip OK in Viewer, Lower Res in Timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johan Windh
Clip OK in Viewer, Lower Res in Timeline
on Nov 20, 2012 at 9:59:32 am

Hi,

I am currently working on a project with material exported from FCP to Color, back to FCP, then to AE and finally back to FCP again.

The workflow:

The footage is shot with SONY EX1 (XDCAM HD) and first cut natively. Then copied to a new sequence which is ProRes HQ 422 with 10-bit rendering. This is exported and graded in Color and re-imported, exported as QT to AE.

I work in AE as ProRes and export again, LossLess and ProRes.

Here´s the problem. When I look at my AE clips in the Viewer they look good. When I place them in the timeline again they are a bit lower Res. than in the Viewer..

Can someone give me some input on this?

Is the workflow optimal?

Any help is appreciated!

Regards,

Johan

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Clip OK in Viewer, Lower Res in Timeline
on Nov 20, 2012 at 3:40:20 pm

[Johan Windh] "The footage is shot with SONY EX1 (XDCAM HD) and first cut natively. Then copied to a new sequence which is ProRes HQ 422 with 10-bit rendering. This is exported and graded in Color and re-imported, exported as QT to AE."
you could skip the step of copying the EX-1 sequence and putting it on a ProresHQ sequence to be sent to Color. You don't win nothing this way. Just send to Color the EX-1 sequence and render to Prores HQ in Color.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 20, 2012 at 11:15:11 pm

Is this footage at 1080? I suspect a field order mistake made in AE... as in you didn't render upper field first.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Johan Windh
on Nov 21, 2012 at 8:10:44 am

Hi guys. OK thanks for the export-tip.

Yep, it´s 1080p. I´ll check out the field-order. Thanks!

/J

Return to posts index

Johan Windh
on Nov 21, 2012 at 8:23:41 am

OK, I just checked the Render settings in AE. The field order is set to None, just as the clips themselves are.

Again, when looking at my AE-clip straight in the Viewer in FCP, I get the full res. When I drag it into the timeline (and render if necessary) the clip is in lower res.

The ones straight from Color looks good, both in Viewer and in Timeline.

/J

Return to posts index

Johan Windh
on Nov 21, 2012 at 8:39:29 am

Btw, I tried to render one with Field Order set to upper, just to check, but unfortunately, the same result.

Return to posts index

Johan Windh
on Nov 22, 2012 at 9:01:42 am

Going for a little bump here, since I am convinced that someone could help me figure this one out. Could be a small step I missed somewhere.

Kind Regards,

Johan

Return to posts index

Johan Windh
on Nov 22, 2012 at 4:02:43 pm

Well I sortof solved it myself, by simply adding a new sequence for the new material. When I drag it down I let FCP do the setup when prompted.

The clips are now in its original res. but the reason why this happened in the first place remains a question.

Kind Regards,

Johan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]