FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encoding & Downscaling in Compressor for DVD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
Encoding & Downscaling in Compressor for DVD
on Nov 19, 2012 at 6:20:18 pm

Hi Everybody,

I usually always use Compressor, to encode for DVDSP.
But when I do that with HD Material, I get quiet a bit of artifacting, dancing lines and pixelized edges.
It's weird, it happens only with downscaled HD footage.
What I do: Export from FCP 7 in Apple ProRes or LT, then import in Compressor, set it to CBR, 7Mbs, put resize filter on, quality at best.
Why can it be?

Is there an encoder that does a better job, when wanting to encode HD Material for SD Video?
What's with Episode? It's better'

Greetings,

Sascha

Return to posts index

Jessica Muth
Re: Encoding & Downscaling in Compressor for DVD
on Nov 19, 2012 at 6:35:39 pm

You will get artifacting via software going from HD to SD. The best conversion is hardware down conversion, via Teranex.

I would assume that your footage is upper or progressive. Depending on what it is, you will need to set your fields to the appropriate lower or progressive if you want to put it on DVD because DVD takes that. If you are doing a conversion and switching the fields, try going to the Frame Controls tab and change the "Deinterlace" option from "Fast" to another setting. It will take a much longer time (depending on a number of factors, but it may help with trying to remove some of the interlacing you are seeing.

ALSO, I would just trying exporting your .m2v and .ac3 stream just as upper field (if your footage is set to that) and just burn the DVD that way and see if you have the same result. Ultimately, you should switch your fields if you are authoring a DVD, but I have experienced that if you are trying to downconvert from HD to SD onto a DVD, leaving the fields alone sometimes produces a better result than trying to fix the fields.

It's better to just keep messing around with it, but unless you have access to a hardware encoder that can downconvert for you, you may continue to experience artifacting.

Jessica Muth
jmuth01@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Nov 19, 2012 at 6:39:17 pm

Unfortunately, that cannot be the reason. I am sorry I forgot to mention: Footage was shot 25p, edited 25p, output in ProRes 25p and in Compressor encoded as 25p.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Brad Elliott
on Nov 19, 2012 at 8:22:21 pm

I find Compressor to be inconsistent in the HD to SD conversion for DVD.

Others have found success in changing all the frame controls to best.
This will increase your render time but usually always works. If your show is over 45 minutes I would try a 2 pass variable bit rate with a max of 8 and a average of 6.5mbps. I would do some short tests with known problem areas.

Unless you are editing in PR LT I would export the same settings as your sequence via Quicktime(not Quicktime conversion). I always use a reference file for Compression unless you have to export a master anyway as it will save time. Reference files are like a band-aid. Most do not recommend using them more than once.

I have had consistent success with having FC doing the HD to SD conversion and it is usually faster than using Compressor for everything.

I export a ref QT to my project folder.
Create the appropriate SD sequence
Add the exported ref to the sequence and render.
Export the rendered SD sequence and then compress for DVD.

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Nov 19, 2012 at 8:35:22 pm

That workflow I never tried, I will give it a shot.
Never did it, because I was always told that compressor does a far better job than FC.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Nov 23, 2012 at 8:28:53 pm

Anybody ever tried Katis free B-Spline Scaler:

https://sites.google.com/site/katisvideotoolbox/smooth-bspline-scaler

If yes, how did it work for you to downscale?

Sascha

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 25, 2012 at 3:14:39 am

Never used, but I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2019 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]